• 6.6.0 RC3 ssh with zsh Weirdness

Taddeusz
    • Annoyance

Since upgrading to 6.6 I've been having weird things with zsh and tab completion and backspacing. It's hard to show without experiencing it but when I backspace it spaces to the right on the local terminal rather than moving the cursor to the left and removing the character. Also, when I use the tab completion it sometimes inserts an extra "/" on the local terminal. This doesn't seem to affect bash. What's going on?

Last login: Fri Sep 14 10:52:56 2018 from 192.168.22.196
    Linux 4.18.7-unRAID.
      root@unRAID  ~  cd /mnt//user/viMovies/
    user/   user0/
      root@unRAID  ~  cd /mnt/user/media//videos//T tTV//.grab/
      root@unRAID  /mnt/user/media/videos/TV/.grab  cd
      root@unRAID  ~  bash
    %n@%m:%~%# cd /mnt/user/media/videos/TV/.grab/
    %n@%m:%~%# cd
    %n@%m:%~%#

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I guess you and I are the only ones using zsh in unRAID. In a way, I'm glad to see someone else having the same issue, as I thought I was going crazy after I upgraded to v6.6.x.

I've finally done some more digging on this and when it's working correctly TERM is set to "linux". When I ssh, for example, from my Mac TERM is set to "xterm-256color" and backspaces aren't working correctly. If I set TERM to "xterm-color" it works fine. One thing I did notice is that if I attempt to manually "export TERM=xterm-256color" I get the error:

zsh: can't find terminal definition for xterm-256color

It seems there might be something wrong with that particular terminal definition.

While set to "xterm-256color" I have tried Ctrl-V Backspace and it reports it's sending "^@" rather than "^?".

For the time being I put the following in my .zshrc for a workaround:

if [ "$TERM" = "xterm-256color" ]; then
      export TERM=xterm-color
    fi

Edited by Taddeusz

There is an issue with /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-256color that's preventing it from being used (not sure what exactly, I didn't dig too far). I fixed it by using infocmp to dump the terminfo from my mac. 

I put the xterm-256color.terminfo file that resulted (see here for my copy, YMMV) into /boot/config/ and added the following to my go script:

# fix xterm-256color terminfo
    tic /boot/config/xterm-256color.terminfo

• Thanks 2
    6 hours ago, logic said:

There is an issue with /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-256color that's preventing it from being used (not sure what exactly, I didn't dig too far). I fixed it by using infocmp to dump the terminfo from my mac. 

I put the xterm-256color.terminfo file that resulted (see here for my copy, YMMV) into /boot/config/ and added the following to my go script:

# fix xterm-256color terminfo
    tic /boot/config/xterm-256color.terminfo

Thank you. This seems to have fixed this particular issue. Unraid seems to have a bad xterm-256color terminfo definition.