We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×
  • 6.9 Beta 30, Intel NIC driver fail for 219v 2.5Gbit NIC

oellefsen
    • Closed

The kernel driver for intel NIC e1000e does not support the i219v 2.5 Gig NIC.  Manually loading e1000e gives no errors, but no device is detected. The motherboard is Asus B460-I Gaming.

Booting an Ubuntu 20.04 image on same hardware load the e1000e driver fine, with no errors, and works fine.

Same issue with stable release of unraid.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

OK, I'll need to boot with sceen/mouse/kb again to get that to a file on the USB drive first, will post here when I've booted with unraid again.

I have tested booting TrueNAS, Proxmox, and Ubuntu 20.04 on that hardware now, all of those distros had NIC driver that worked fine "out of the box".

Huh, seems that changing BIOS to UEFI mode boot fixed the problem.

I had initially tested the hardware with a Win10 install, which enabled secure boot in BIOS. I then changed the boot options to legacy only, and shut of secure boot, before booting unraid. It did not find the NIC in either stable or beta 30.

I then tried with a few other distros, as stated in post above, and then went back to Windows, but changed to UEFI boot for one of the USB sticks I had. I then tried unraid again in UEFI boot from another stick, and the kernel now find the intel NIC, and it seems to work fine for far.

I'm a bit stumped to explain this behaviour, but as long as it works I'm happy. I'll try testing a few more boot options to see if I can reproduce error. Attached diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20201104-2055.zip

Edited by oellefsen
    typo, clarification