• [6.9.0-beta22] No spin down of pool HDDs

John_M
    • Solved Minor

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Retesting with 6.9.0-beta24, pool HDDs still don't spin down after the timeout period. I deliberately set it to a short timeout of 30 minutes to test it and 3 hours later they were still spinning. When manually spun down, the GUI initially changes to show the correct status but after navigating away and then returning to the Main or Dashboard pages later shows the same problem as before (i.e. spun down pool disks are shown as active but without temperatures).

The way I can reproduce the GUI problem is to manually spin down the drives in the pool, using the down arrow icon for the pool on the Main page, noticing that the GUI updates with grey balls and no temperatures, then navigate away - I go to Tools -> System Log and study it for a while, noticing that shcmd has issued the hdparm -y command to spin down each drive in the pool, then navigate back to Main and notice that the balls are green again, but no temperatures, then navigate to Dashboard and see green balls, no temperatures, and "active" status. Confirm actual status with

hdparm -C /dev/sdX

35 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Are your drives connected directly to SATA ports on your motherboard or to some HBA controller?

Here's the problem.  The 'hdparm' command apparently issues a read just before spinning the drive down.  This was the cause of the first bug (it never used to do that).  What happens is emhttpd has background poller that checks disk i/o stats every second.  If it sees that there has been disk i/o since the last time we checked, we know the disk is spinning.  The bug was that emhttpd uses hdparm to spin down the disk but it captures the initial disk count of i/o's before issuing hdparm.  So next time it checks that extra read makes emhttpd think there is new disk i/o.

Clear as mud right?  The solution is next post down ;)

13 minutes ago, limetech said:

The solution is for webGui to not use hdparm directly to spin down, instead use 'cmdSpindown=idx' where 'idx' is the value of [diskN][idx].

that is, can use:

emcmd "cmdSpindown=$disk['name']"

Did a quick test and I need to specify the device name (current implementation), e.g.

emcmd "cmdSpindown=$disk['name']"

It doesn't work with "idx". Can you have a look?

LOL. This is the current implementation of the GUI.

It doesn't use hdparm for array and pool devices, only for unassigned devices.

9 hours ago, bonienl said:

Are your drives connected directly to SATA ports on your motherboard or to some HBA controller?

All four are connected to an LSI SAS HBA (actually a cross-flashed Dell Perc H310). The other four ports control disks in the main array and they spin down and indicate correctly in the GUI, as they've always done. All disks are SATA.

I have an Adaptec HBA and this controller has the 'nasty' habit that after a disk is spun down, it would spin up again without apparent reason, hence my question.

You are saying the 4 disks on this controller assigned to the array, work as expected, but the 4 pool disks do not?

Have you tried to stop docker and vm services and with these services disabled do a spin down of the pool?

56 minutes ago, bonienl said:

You are saying the 4 disks on this controller assigned to the array, work as expected, but the 4 pool disks do not?

Yes, exactly this.

56 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Have you tried to stop docker and vm services and with these services disabled do a spin down of the pool?

I haven't but I will and report back. There's nothing on this pool of hard disks that's related to Docker or VMs though. It's just a chunk of extra storage that previously was just four unassigned disks. All the Docker and VM stuff is still on my SSD cache pool, unchanged.

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Ok. Here's what I did. First I rebooted to get a clean set of diagnostics. I started the array, then disabled the Docker and VM services. I then manually spun down the "extra" pool of four HDDs (sdf, sdg, sdh, sdi) using the icon associated with that pool. The Main page updated, showing grey balls and no temperatures for the four disks. I switched to Tools->System Log and noticed that hdparm -y had been issued to the four disks. (I also noticed a lot of nmbd error messages, seemingly associated with stopping the Docker service.) Switching back to the Main page shows green balls but no temperatures for the four "extra" pool disks. Dashboard shows green balls and "active" and no temperatures. So, no difference. I grabbed diagnostics.

lapulapu-diagnostics-20200709-1924.zip

Edited by John_M
    nmbd errors, not smbd
    20 minutes ago, John_M said:

Ok. Here's what I did. First I rebooted to get a clean set of diagnostics. I started the array, then disabled the Docker and VM services. I then manually spun down the "extra" pool of four HDDs (sdf, sdg, sdh, sdi) using the icon associated with that pool. The Main page updated, showing grey balls and no temperatures for the four disks. I switched to Tools->System Log and noticed that hdparm -y had been issued to the four disks. (I also noticed a lot of nmbd error messages, seemingly associated with stopping the Docker service.) Switching back to the Main page shows green balls but no temperatures for the four "extra" pool disks. Dashboard shows green balls and "active" and no temperatures. So, no difference. I grabbed diagnostics.

lapulapu-diagnostics-20200709-1924.zip 140.04 kB · 0 downloads

In this state what does 'hdparm -C /dev/sdf' show?

26 minutes ago, limetech said:

In this state what does 'hdparm -C /dev/sdf' show?

root@Lapulapu:~# hdparm -C /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:
     drive state is:  standby
    root@Lapulapu:~# 

32 minutes ago, John_M said:

root@Lapulapu:~# hdparm -C /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:
     drive state is:  standby
    root@Lapulapu:~# 

Thank you.  I can recreate.  There is something different about how disk statistics are recorded....

• Thanks 1

Pool HDDs now spin down automatically after the chosen timeout and the GUI correctly shows their status. Thank you.

48021991_ScreenShot2020-07-13at13_02_04.png.5e8abb6c9aa843172566a1f251943e1e.png

I'm still having pool spin down issues on one of my servers, can't figure out what the problem is, shouldn't be controller related as they are on the Intel SATA ports, but can't reproduce the problem on my test server.

No disks from any pool spin down, most of the pools are used once daily, if I spin them down manually they spin down and stay spun down until the pool is accessed, but after a few seconds or minutes the status changes to active and the temps are not correct, first it's all sequential numbers, then it displays the same temp as my cache device, generating disk overheating notifications for all disks, but during this the disks remain spun down, once they spin up temps start showing correct but they will also remain spun up unless manually spun down, any ideas?

imagem.thumb.png.d4199bf16aee16f9a0f811b82a27784f.png

imagem.thumb.png.dde451905a544a2acc5dfb467e4d38d8.png

tower1-diagnostics-20200728-1441.zip

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

first it's all sequential numbers, then it displays the same temp as my cache device, generating disk overheating notifications for all disks

I never saw anything like that in the GUI. The temperatures were either correct or not displayed (asterisks). My first thought is that maybe something has become corrupted on your flash. That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with, but I guess you've already eliminated that.