• [6.9.0-RC1 and 6.9.0-RC2] - Cache disk temp will not save


    Bolagnaise
    • Retest Minor

    On 6.9.0 RC1 if you attempt to adjust the disk temp thresholds values for the CACHE drive only, they will not save after hitting apply. All other cache and array drives update accordingly however:

     

    Warning disk temperature threshold (°C)

    Critical disk temperature threshold (°C)

     

     




    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Also 6.9.0-RC1 here.
    I was able to successfully update cache and cache 2  for those settings, I had previously set them in earlier releases, but this release had reset those settings.

    Link to comment
    2 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

    Also 6.9.0-RC1 here.
    I was able to successfully update cache and cache 2  for those settings, I had previously set them in earlier releases, but this release had reset those settings.

    Weird, all mine had also reset but i cannot change those settngs on only the cache disk, and on further investigation i cannot change the utilisation thresholds either.

    Link to comment
    33 minutes ago, Bolagnaise said:

    Here's the bug in action

    Dark blue numbers on a dark grey background is a combination that just doesn't work for my eyes. I see what you're saying though. Maybe your diagnostics would reveal more.

    Link to comment
    32 minutes ago, John_M said:

    Dark blue numbers on a dark grey background is a combination that just doesn't work for my eyes. I see what you're saying though. Maybe your diagnostics would reveal more.

    Log shows this when attempting to set temp or utilisation limits.

    Dec 14 16:58:52 Tower kernel: mdcmd (92): set md_num_stripes 1280
    Dec 14 16:58:52 Tower kernel: mdcmd (93): set md_queue_limit 80
    Dec 14 16:58:52 Tower kernel: mdcmd (94): set md_sync_limit 5
    Dec 14 16:58:52 Tower kernel: mdcmd (95): set md_write_method

     

    Diagnostics attached

    tower-diagnostics-20201214-1658.zip

    Edited by Bolagnaise
    Link to comment

    I too am experiencing issues with being unable to specify the temperature threshold for any of the disks in my array and pools, after updating to 6.9.0-rc1.

     

    This becomes a bit more than annoying when NVMe SSDs are involved due to the average temps for those being higher than the default threshold values.

     

    So far, it seems that the only workaround is to change the default values at the OS level.

     

    Maybe this thread could be escalated from a status of "annoyance" to "minor"?

    Thoughts?

    Link to comment
    6 hours ago, Mathew R. said:

    I too am experiencing issues with being unable to specify the temperature threshold for any of the disks in my array and pools, after updating to 6.9.0-rc1.

     

    This becomes a bit more than annoying when NVMe SSDs are involved due to the average temps for those being higher than the default threshold values.

     

    So far, it seems that the only workaround is to change the default values at the OS level.

     

    Maybe this thread could be escalated from a status of "annoyance" to "minor"?

    Thoughts?

    Agreed, ill update the thread. My NVME drives are also causing issues with warnings.

    Link to comment

    I just updated to 6.9.0-rc2 and drive temperatures are no longer being displayed. Instead, I get an asterisks symbol where the drive temperature would normally be displayed.

     

    As well, I too am still unable to edit the drive temperature values as seen and reported in 6.9.0-rc1.

    Link to comment

    As to your first problem, this is a known issue with RC2. Manually spin up your drives (even if they're already spun up, from what I understand) by clicking the little status LED symbol on the left. The temperatures should display correctly after this.

    Link to comment

    Just tested on my system, I can update SATA SSDs with no issues in cache and test pool HDDs, but I dont have any NVME devices in my system.

     

    Looks like values are stored here in boot/config.

     

    root@Tower:/boot/config# cat smart-one.cfg 
    [disk1]
    smEvents="5|187|197|198"
    [SSD_PLUS_480GB_]
    warning="80"
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"
    [CT500MX500SSD1_]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="65"
    [ST96812AS_]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="65"

     

    Disk name as serial number after underscore.

    Edited by SimonF
    Link to comment

    Interesting...,

    In my "smart-one.cfg", I can see the correct temperature values for the cache pools I have, but there are no disks specified for each of the temperature value sets (e.g., where it would display the disk model and serial number, it only displays the pool assignment, "cache, cache2, scratch, scratch2).

     

     

    Link to comment

    In my "smart-one.cfg", I can see my configuration for the unassigned disks I use with ZFS

    [Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_250GB_xxx]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="65"
    [Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_250GB_xxx]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="65"
    [Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_500GB_xxx]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="65"
    [Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_250GB_xxx]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="65"
    [Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_1TB_xxx]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="65"

    but the unraid system doesn't care and complains all the time using the default settings. :(

    Link to comment

    I just set UD Dev to 20 and 30.

     

    Dashboard is correct.

     

    image.png.1c43fada1ac557216fe5d482dc72f1ba.png

     

    But I didn't get notification until I changed the defaults so agree its not using device specific ones.

     

    @limetech UDs are not using device specific temps definitions for notifications only the defaults. But dashboard is using specific values.

    Edited by SimonF
    Link to comment

    Ok, just following up, your right, my smart-one.cfg shows the correct temps but the dashboard does not update and still throws temp and usage alarms.

     

    [SPCC_M_2_PCIe_SSD_A44907990E8900022704]
    hotTemp="55"
    maxTemp="60"
    [ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY2T6RW]
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"
    [ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZDH3DQ5V]
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"
    [WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K1KCA1LR]
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"
    [WDC_WD30EZRX-00DC0B0_WD-WMC1T0247433]
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"
    [Samsung_SSD_840_Series_S19HNSAD555889P]
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"
    [SanDisk_SDSSDA120G_160547400593]
    hotTemp="50"
    maxTemp="60"
     

     

     

     

     

    image.png

    Link to comment

    Just updated to the 6.9.0 Stable build and I am still unable to get the temp settings to stick.

    Is anyone else also still experiencing this issue?

    Link to comment
    27 minutes ago, Mathew R. said:

    Just updated to the 6.9.0 Stable build and I am still unable to get the temp settings to stick.

    Is anyone else also still experiencing this issue?

    I'm currently dumbfounded...

    The issue seems to now be specific to FireFox (although I had never thought previously to test with a different browser prior to the 6.9.0 Stable release).

    e.g., When updating the temp values in FireFox, they appear to save initially, but then revert randomly.

    In Chrome, when updating the values, almost immediately, you can see a visual difference. The default values are denoted in a blue toned color rather than being a grayish color in FireFox.

     

    I stumbled upon this workaround when looking for reports in the stable build threads and someone else had reported that using a different browser worked.

     

    Potentially the problem could also be related to cached data/cookies. I don't really know. Just glad that I am not having the issue anymore.

     

    Good luck to you all.

    Link to comment
    13 hours ago, Mathew R. said:

    The issue seems to now be specific to FireFox

     

    Agreed. I'm seeing the same with Firefox 85.0.2 (macOS). It also applies twhen setting custom SMART parameters, as well as temperature thresholds. Chrome 88.0.4324.192 works fine.

    Link to comment

    Ok having similar issues but i think i discovered my answer with the above thread... please correct me if i'm wrong but changing the individual drive limits ONLY affects the dashboard color values etc... and DOES NOT change the notifications / emails about a drive being outside of limits.  IE if i want my unraid to stop emailing me when my NVME gets a little hot, i have to adjust the GLOBAL variables?

     

    I'm hoping thats the case cuz it would explain why i keep getting notified that my nvme is running a little hot even after adjusting the individual drive limits... but i'm also hoping i'm doing something wrong cuz i would love to not get the emails about the NVME based on it's individual settings and not have to change the global variable just for one drive that runs a touch hotter.

     

    Link to comment
    On 6/11/2021 at 2:41 PM, DirkRockface said:

    Ok having similar issues but i think i discovered my answer with the above thread... please correct me if i'm wrong but changing the individual drive limits ONLY affects the dashboard color values etc... and DOES NOT change the notifications / emails about a drive being outside of limits.  IE if i want my unraid to stop emailing me when my NVME gets a little hot, i have to adjust the GLOBAL variables?

     

    I'm hoping thats the case cuz it would explain why i keep getting notified that my nvme is running a little hot even after adjusting the individual drive limits... but i'm also hoping i'm doing something wrong cuz i would love to not get the emails about the NVME based on it's individual settings and not have to change the global variable just for one drive that runs a touch hotter.

     

    This was most definitely not the case in prior releases. I have always set my cache drives to a higher temp to avoid the false notifications. I was unable to do that in 6.9, even on 6.9.2. However, it did seem to be a browser issue for me as well. I just tried it in Edge, was previously using Chrome, and it appears to have updated and stuck in the GUI. I will report back if I still get a temp alarm email notification below what I set next time my drives are working hard.

    Link to comment

    Same here, 6.9.2 and NVME temperature setting won't save - normal disks will though.

     

    Tried firefox and edge

    Link to comment

    +1

    Also SMART values are "empty"...some are displayed, when Controller-type "Automatic" or "NVMe" gets selected.

    However, this setting also does not stick.

     

    unRAID 6.9.2, NVMe: Crucial Force MP600 (1TB), cache pool of 2 devices 

    Link to comment



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Status Definitions

     

    Open = Under consideration.

     

    Solved = The issue has been resolved.

     

    Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

     

    Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

     

    Retest = Please retest in latest release.


    Priority Definitions

     

    Minor = Something not working correctly.

     

    Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

     

    Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

     

    Other = Announcement or other non-issue.