• [7.0.0-beta.1] Making new pool as ZFS is confusing

Helediron
    • Closed

There are few rough edges in the main tab when creating pools:

• The option to select ZFS is hidden in disk properties.
    • The current flow creates a pool with default file system with no obvious place to change it.
    • There is lots of scrolling over the array section when creating pools.
    • After starting the array, a new pool appears in kind of error condition "Unable to mount", and Format command is at the bottom of a long page. There is no hint from "Unable.." to "Format".

I suggest that "Add Pool" dialog asks what file system to use and other file system options. There should be also a checkbox "Format disks", so that when i create a pool from disks with no partitions, all i need to do is start the array, and the pool eventually gets ready. E.g.:

Pool name: pool

Disk slots: 5

File System: ZFS

FS Options: RAIDZ2 etc

Format all pool disks: X

The formatting starts after array is started if all disks are empty with no partitions detected.

The main tab could use some collapsible panels, or auto-scroll (https://host/Main#poolid) to the pool section after adding a disk. Especially if the old array section is unused.

None of these are showstoppers. But i remember stumbling with same issues last year when i converted the cache in my 6.x main server to a zfs pool. Creating a pool is a rare occurrence, so i took the chance to report this now while fresh in memory.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you for your feedback, but I expect you to do that. This issue is now finished from my part.