• [7.0.0-beta.1] Pool naming restrictions don't match specs?

Espressomatic
    • Closed

Tried naming a pool (for example)  Wood2 and received the following error:

Use only lowercase with no special characters or leading/trailing digits

Looking for documentation online, this is the only remotely official doc I easily found on the subject:

Each ZFS component, such as datasets and pools, must be named according to the following rules:

Each component can only contain alphanumeric characters in addition to the following four special characters:

Underscore (_)

Hyphen (-)

Colon (:)

Period (.)

Pool names must begin with a letter, and can only contain alphanumeric characters as well as underscore (_), dash (-), and period (.). Note the following pool name restrictions:

The beginning sequence c[0-9] is not allowed.

The name log is reserved.

A name that begins with mirror, raidz, raidz1, raidz2, raidz3, or spare is not allowed because these names are reserved.

Pool names must not contain a percent sign (%).

Dataset names must begin with an alphanumeric character.

Dataset names must not contain a percent sign (%).

This seems to indicate that the name Wood2 is valid. So too would WOOD - neither is allowed in Unraid (yeah I rhymed it on purpose ;) )

I can't find any info anywhere else about not using as few or as many CAPS as one wants, nor about using numbers at the end of a name. Some sites, like Proxmox, even say you can use a space in the name - which frankly does make a lot more sense than allowing a colon.

If we don't bend software to our will, in a few years (along with AI) it'll be bending us to its.  🤣

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Use only lowercase with no special characters or leading/trailing digits

This is an Unraid limitation, not zfs, it's the same for xfs or zfs pools.

I gotta be honest, this kind of thing has always been annoying, but in 2024 is grating.

Remember those funny videos of the guy throwing everything off his desk or the other guy in a panda suit destroying an office? That's like a 5 out of 10, and when I get an error telling me I can't pick a name I want (or on sites a password I want), I'm like at 11.  🤣

I just tried naming a pool pentagon and got a new error that said "too many sides" - j/k

Edited by Espressomatic