We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×
  • GPU Passthrough stops working after a while

Marshalleq
    • Minor

I honestly don't know what's happening here, except it's the second time this has happened.  I tried quite a lot last time, this time I just tried re-creating the VM without recreating the disks.  However that didn't work.

The symptom is that twice now, after some time (e.g. a month or two) perfectly running Windows 10 gaming VM, no longer displays on a plugged in monitor with pass through GPU.  I do suspect it's running in the background, however if I change the GPU to VNC, there is no option to view the VM via VNC in the properties of the VM.

Last time, I just created the whole VM including disk again to get it working.  I don't really want to do that again to be honest so will try harder this time!

Anyway, attached diagnostics in case it helps with anything.

obi-wan-diagnostics-20200921-1738.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just to update this, I tired a whole new VM this time and same result, VM starts, but black screen.  No errors in VM log.  I'm seeing some unusual errors in the system log around PCIe, so am going to try a memory test as a first step,  Hopefully not another stick gone, this is expensive memory!

So starting with memory, there appears not to be any issues there.  However, I've clearly not let it run overnight, which technically I probably should do.

However, the one thing I didn't do, which I should have done was a full power off of the machine, resetting the hardware.  Which I've now done and now the GPU works.

I don't know why this is now happening, it could be a symptom of my hardware, or it could be triggered by something new in unraid.

The logs are there if anyone wants to look at it.  I'll log another ticket if it comes back (or try reopening this one).  Until then I guess we can close this.