• [ISSUE or Limitation?] Moving share to ZPool (only) doesn't make it Exclusive

Espressomatic
    • Closed

Following on from a question posted to the 7.00 announcement thread: https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-700-beta1-available-r3035/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-28893

I've created a RAIDZ2 pool where I can make shares that get Exclusive access by default - Exclusive set in general preferences and the files are only accessed in the one pool, no secondary storage.

When reassigning the location/pool for an existing share that is currently on the traditional array. Such a share has Exclusive = NO. That doesn't change to Yes when I reassign its location to the ZFS pool and set secondary storage to none.

Can this limitation be remedied such that we gain exclusive access when making this change?

Testing

There is no more array and no more cache drive, all former array drives and cache are now Unassigned

There is only the ZFS pool and all shares point only to their folders on the zpool. No secondary storage for any of them.

• Exclusive is still NO for previous shares that used to point to multiple drives*

• Exclusive is YES for previous shares that used to point to only one drive

• and YES for any new shares I create

• * appdata used to only exist on a single cache drive, but still comes up NO, unlike aShare, etc.

Exclusive shares are marked below with a small triangle next to the pool name

Screenshot2024-07-09at1_15_18PM.png.6137c4fb9c9395a82bd303d383936168.png

Diagnostics attached

tvhd-diagnostics-20240709-1319.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Appdata is being exported to NFS, exclusive shares won't work if NFS is enabled for that share.

shareExportNFS="e"
    shareExportNFSFsid="106"
    shareSecurityNFS="public"

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

exclusive shares won't work if NFS is enabled

Nice catch.  I need a laminated Unraid cheat-sheet for these edge cases.

Is it feasible to change the way this works today to support exclusive access for Samba export and not NFS? While I'm really looking forward to fast SMB access from Mac clients, it's a shame to have to lose NFS at the same time.

Edited by Espressomatic
    2 hours ago, Espressomatic said:

Is it feasible to change the way this works today to support exclusive access for Samba export and not NFS?

IIRC LT was going to revisit this in the future, to try and get exclusive shares to also work when exported over NFS, but I believe it's not a simple thing, so it may take a while.

• Upvote 1