• Missing non-primary NIC not removed from network.cfg causes routing issues

Marshalleq
    • Minor

I have fairly consistently had problems with the networking GUI in unraid.  I wrote some rather frustrated post about it some years back, but got shot down and didn't come back to it.

But post upgrade to 6.9 beta 1, I had a related issue, though in this case I can see why it might have happened.

As per this post today, my 10G Nic is not recognised in 6.9 beta 1.  Fix common problems started alerting me about not being able to communicate with GitHub.  However other things 'seemed' to be working OK so I figured it was a fix common problems issue.

However, upon later investigation (much of the system wasn't working e.g. docker versions were 'not available' in the GUI and other odd tell tale signs like extremely slow raid shutdown) I found docker.cfg still had the missing NIC called br4 which was not in the GUI but the system was still attempting to route traffic through.  Removing via the GUI these more obvious routes did not help until eventually I edited the network.cfg directly and took the extra card out.

But to round out the post a bit, what has been challenging with the GUI in the past is things like

1 - Unraid adding a second gateway when the NIC is on the same subnet (IMO there should only be one gateway per subnet) and even if two gateways are acceptable e.g via prioritisation:

2 - Why was unraid sending all traffic out the non-primary card?

3 - Changing interface rules so that the primary card is first does not seem to not take effect properly i.e. the interface descriptions and I think even IP addressing doesn't move and the whole thing gets confusing.

So not to go on about that too much, but it does make it hard to figure out exactly what is happening so I can post intelligently about it.  Now that I have two unraid licences (one a sort of half dev box) perhaps I can add some value here.

Anyway, the fix for me was below.  It would be nice if unraid could detect that a card had been removed and update the network.cfg as a result.  Given the challenges mentioned above, I expect those are making that difficult to achieve.

As per below everything from IFNAME[1]="br4" I removed except for last line which I assumed needed to be SYSNICS="1".

The Unraid networking GUI is a mostly functional thing that meets most of the needs of it's customer base.  But it would be great to see an item on the roadmap for an upgrade of it to something a little more modern in terms of it's interface and how it interacts with the system.

Thanks for reading. :)

# Generated settings:
    IFNAME[0]="br0"
    DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
    DNS_SERVER1="192.168.43.3"
    DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
    BRNAME[0]="br0"
    BRNICS[0]="eth0"
    BRSTP[0]="no"
    BRFD[0]="0"
    DESCRIPTION[0]="Onboard"
    PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"