• Upgrading to RC3 prevents Flash Drive from Booting

MrTyton
    • Minor

Had a flash drive, week old, working fine on RC2 - upgraded it to RC3, flash drive still recognized by windows and everything but the unraid will not boot from it.

I literally cracked open the casing on a new USB drive, used the flash backup that I'd created before (in RC2), plugged it in and it booted. I then bought the UNRAID key for it (since I was on the trial before, thought it might have been the issue), downloaded another flash, then upgraded to RC3 and... again, windows and every system will recognize the device but the system refuses to boot UNRAID off of it.

It doesn't even just put me into the BIOS screen, like it does if you have a UEFI booting system and you forgot to enable EUFI. Also ran the make_bootable.bat as admin again, just to make sure, still doesn't work.

The only way that I was able to start using it again was by completely reformatting the drive, unplugging and replugging it in again, then reflashing the RC2 backup onto it. No matter how I try to upgrade it to RC3, it effectively renders the drive unusable by UNRAID until it's wiped.

The steps taken were updating when the prompt came up, waiting for plugins to finish updating, and then reboot when the notification said that I could.

tower-diagnostics-20220311-1718.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

57 minutes ago, MrTyton said:

I did not have an EFI- folder in there. It was one of the things that I checked before posting.

You may want to look at the BIOS version as currently 4.18 from last year. I notice there is a beta version for your board, I saw a similar issue with my MSI Z690 when I upgrade to the Beta vers, I had to manually go into the BIOS and select the flash drive for it to boot, So I reverted back to the latest stable bios.

So it may be worth you updating to 1009 which is the same date as 7D25vA1 which is my current BIOS.

image.thumb.png.64dba57478c6ce6f5eb0de0942ee92b8.png

image.thumb.png.1f23d2fb6e0f5189a37268e6ec55d308.png

Edited by SimonF

I have found that sometimes simply downloading the .zIp file for a release and then extracting all the bz* type files and overwriting the ones on the flash fixes such issues.   It is as if the upgrade process does not always write these out error free.  If you want to try this then the zip file can be downloaded via this link