• [6.12.0] Tailscale: SMB, SSH, and Gui unable to connect

DC_Interstellar
    • Closed Annoyance
    Message added by EDACerton,

tailscale0 is the interface used by the Docker version of Tailscale. Per the container author, using Docker to access Unraid services remotely is no longer supported.

Users should use the Tailscale plugin for Unraid builds after 6.12.0; the plugin automatically configures Unraid to allow access via the Tailscale IP. (Note: for SMB, "Enable NetBIOS" in SMB settings must be set to "No".)

Hello everyone!

I have followed the steps in "HOW TO SETUP TAILSCALE OR ZEROTIER COMMUNICATION" documentation how to get Tailscale to work on Unraid 6.12.0. However, there is a brick wall I keep running into. When I restart my server or turn on/off the array. Tailscale's IP address to the server stops working unless I go into Settings>Network Settings>Include listening interfaces and remove "tailscale0" and re-add back in. Then I am able to access it via SSH and the GUI, but SMB I'm having no luck at all. I have added the code to the "go" file above the emhttpd daemon. I removed Tailscale docker container and re-add it back in, issue still persists. Is anyone having this issue? Is this a known bug?

Thank you! 

***ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED***:

Please follow the steps at "HOW TO SETUP TAILSCALE OR ZEROTIER COMMUNICATION" for 6.12.0 & higher. This is NO longer an issue if you follow the steps in the documentation.

diagostics has been attached

dcc-server-diagnostics-20230616-2139.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 7/19/2023 at 3:57 PM, drdebian said:

It's definitely not that I couldn't add something to the go file, quite to the contrary.

The problem I have with this is that this feels like an ugly hack that should not be necessary. I really don't understand what has changed from 6.11.x to 6.12.3 that suddenly prevents Unraid from listening to the tailscale network without having its services reloaded in the go file. Something this fundamental should be made available somewhere in the Unraid settings IMHO, especially if people confronted with this new behaviour see downgrading to the previous minor release as their only option.

+1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:06 AM, DC_Interstellar said:

So, you’re saying you will not go into the go file & add the short script that’ll take you a couple seconds? If you can’t do that. Then okay.

Not be rude or anything, we can’t help you if don’t add it in. All of us were able to get working & it’s great! I, myself, suggest adding it in, but again. It’s up to you if want to or not. 

+1

Long time Unraid and ZeroTier user and forum lurker here. If the "fix" is to stage a reload of services after Docker starts, then that should be the default behavior of Unraid when "Include listening interfaces" is enabled, etc.

On 7/19/2023 at 2:57 PM, drdebian said:

It's definitely not that I couldn't add something to the go file, quite to the contrary.

The problem I have with this is that this feels like an ugly hack that should not be necessary. I really don't understand what has changed from 6.11.x to 6.12.3 that suddenly prevents Unraid from listening to the tailscale network without having its services reloaded in the go file. Something this fundamental should be made available somewhere in the Unraid settings IMHO, especially if people confronted with this new behaviour see downgrading to the previous minor release as their only option.

I too am experiencing this issue. I access unraid remotely via ZeroTier. I had to restart recently and then was unable to access without visiting the site, un-setting and resetting. 

At a fundamental level, if a user sets a parameter in a user interface, it is expected that this parameters will persist between reboots unless specifically states otherwise. Even then, if the user reboots the system and sees the parameters still set in the GUI then it should still be set, not required to be unset and reset to really be set. 

I shouldn't expect that anyone would disagree with this.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for bumping this thread, but to me, this is a show-stopping issue. If I can't access SMB shares over Tailscale then I'll have to roll back until the Unraid team fixes the regression. The entire point of my NAS is to be able to access my files remotely. I am not interested in modifying my go file with yet another hack that will inevitably break something in a future update.

Edited by djbrettb
    typo
    • Upvote 2

Just upgraded to 6.12.4 and to my surprise, tailscale stopped working for the unRaid WebUI. I'm kind of surprised that this problem was flagged two months ago and is still in the fourth patch release. Hopefully it will get a proper fix soon.

This is now closed for further comments

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.