• [6.12.2] System lockups every day

bonzog
    • Urgent

(Just filing for info as I have downgraded to 6.11.5 and am happy)

Since upgrading from 6.11.5 >> 6.12.2, the system arbitrarily locks up at least twice a day. Diagnostics and screenshot from the last lockup attached.610260721_serverlockup.thumb.png.118de9fba1ac5112f9a6eb129be002e2.png

• Fix Common Problems highlighted macvlan traces, so I have followed the advice to migrate Docker from macvlan to ipvlan, this is functional but didn't stop the crashes.
    • As this is a Ryzen system, I have double-checked all suggestions re: memory speed and power states. Generally though, my server has been rock solid on 6.11.x with months of uptime without any BIOS power tweaks or suchlike needed. 
    • No obvious pattern to the timings of the lockups. 
    • Upgraded to latest BIOS and switched processor from 2600X > 5600X (planned upgrade), no improvement
    • I have downgraded back to 6.11.5, and the system is solidly stable again. 

Ryzen 2600X (then 5600X)

B450M chipset

40GB DDR4 (yes, mixed sticks, but it's been stable)

LSI SAS2008 controller

Nvidia GTX 1080 used by Docker

unraid-diagnostics-20230712-0831.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yes, I guess that's expected when the server is completely frozen and non-responsive. I was just trying to follow the bug report guidelines.

As it happens, I did have syslog server running for the last two crashes before I decided to revert, as I didn't know until this incident that Unraid doesn't rotate logs by default. Here they are if they are useful to anyone:

• Crash3.txt is a complete syslog up to the point of the reboot. The hourly docker restarts are a scheduled task to start a one-shot container.  External monitoring reported server down 12 minutes after the penultimate log entry.

• Crash4.txt is also a complete syslog from a planned reboot (trying the new CPU) to eventual crash and reboot. There's a lot of extra noise in this one as I was trying to get ipvlan going as well. External monitoring reported server down 3 minutes after the penultimate log entry.

Hope this is useful for the bug hunters. I'm just going to stick with 6.11.5 for now.

Syslog-Crash3.txt Syslog-Crash4.txt

Edited by bonzog
    Fixed typo in old OS version

Just an update based on time elapsed since downgrading, system has been up for 2 days 14 hours now without hint of instability on 6.11.5.

As an aside, ipvlan works well and seems like a sensible change.