• [6.12.4] nginx crashes upon array start

GreyFoxLeFourbe
    • Urgent

Updated from 6.12.3 to 6.12.4 to find that my server would not be reachable via the WebGUI after an array mount.
    I'm using a set of encrypted volumes and therefore need to start the server manually after each reboot.

Originally thought Docker or VM would have been a culprit here, but at this stage, this happens now on a reproducible and constant basis.
    In syslog, I can see the following:

Oct  1 16:29:12 Tower nginx: 2023/10/01 16:29:12 [alert] 10797#10797: *772 open socket #21 left in connection 24
    Oct  1 16:29:12 Tower nginx: 2023/10/01 16:29:12 [alert] 10797#10797: *804 open socket #29 left in connection 26
    Oct  1 16:29:12 Tower nginx: 2023/10/01 16:29:12 [alert] 10797#10797: *762 open socket #6 left in connection 27
    Oct  1 16:29:12 Tower nginx: 2023/10/01 16:29:12 [alert] 10797#10797: aborting

To fix fit, I can just connect to the server and issue a

/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx start

to solve the issue.

Any thought on what's going on?

tower-diagnostics-20231001-1537.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Apologies for the delay.
    Yes, booting in safe mode allows me to enter the encryption key and safely start the array. The WebGui does not seem to crash in this case.

This also happens to me. I'll look at my plugins. It's pretty awful! Other times, I lose access to SSH, but I'm on proxmox, so I can at least fix this remotely.

This is a HUGE issue that is affecting my entire production. I can't even SSH into it after 2 days of uptime. It's been so stable and now I'm getting this. Please advise. I downgraded to 6.12.3 and still the same issue, but it wasn't doing this before. Same issue as OP. locally CLI becomes unresponsive when running commands.

12 hours ago, Bifrost Systems said:

I downgraded to 6.12.3 and still the same issue, but it wasn't doing this before.

That suggests it's not an OS issue, at least not directly, or downgrading should have fixed it, try booting in safe mode, also keep any browser windows to the GUI closed, open only when you need to interact with the GUI then close again.

3 minutes ago, Bifrost Systems said:

Of course safemade works

Do you mean SSH and nginx keep working in safe mode? If yes that would suggest a plugin problem.

That is correct. So it would be trial and error with bringing the array onlien everytime and seeing if it crashes? It's only when array comes online.

Edited by Bifrost Systems

It it works in safe mode it still likely plugin related, if you have tailscale installed start with that one since there have been other reports.