• [6.12.6] Does not start as USB Devices apparently switched ids?

doc-unraid
    • Urgent

Hi

I have an (Basic license) unraid system with

* 1 (fake) array device (USB)

* 1 NVMe (cache) ZFS single device pool

* 4 SSD zfs raidz2 pool attached via USB-C (Raidsonic device)

After reboot, almost every second time, the Array does not start as it finds one or more disks from the USB attached pool missing.

If i go to the console and import the pool via `zpool import` ZFS immediately imports the pool as instructed.

Turns out that the problem is the ID for some SSDs that seem to change randomly (see screencast).

A drive formerly identified as 
    `Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_4TB_S5STNF0WA03436P -`

is now for some reason identified as
    `Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_0000000000000002-0:0 `

When i try `smartctl -x /dev/sd[a-d] |grep -i Serial`

all the serial numbers are there and plausible.

After rebooting several times (no change in USB configuration) the drives return to their original IDs.

Wouldn't it be good for UNRAID to include the smartctl returned data from the disk to identify them rather than what the kernel decides to provide as /dev/disk/by-id ?

Any help appreciated, as i was willing to use unraid with scheduled poweron/off, which of course is not reliably working right now.

cu

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

A drive formerly identified as 
    `Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_4TB_S5STNF0WA03436P -`

is now for some reason identified as
    `Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_0000000000000002-0:0 `

USB bridges can be a problem with ID's, one of the reasons they are recommend for array or pool devices, though this one is kind of strange, since the ID is completely changing, can you post a couple of diags showing the same device with the correct and wrong ID?

The main difference I see between the diags, is that when it doesn't work, the USB enclosure is not being detected during the initial boot as it should, like right after the flash drive, it's only being detected in the end, after the plugins get loaded, and possibly you are disconnecting and reconnecting it?

In any case, can't really offer a solution, you can try a different USB port/controller if available, but ideally I would recommend not using USB for array or pool devices if possible, they can cause various issues, including ID issues, devices dropping, spin down and SMART issues, etc.

52 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

it's only being detected in the end, after the plugins get loaded, and possibly you are disconnecting and reconnecting it?

Nope, i tried different Cables, host ports etc. Same behaviour whatsoever. Between the two diags i did not touch any hardware at all, just did an init 6.

The thing i do not get is: i used a simple ubuntu with ZFS before and that worked every time. Even when booting unraid, and some IDs are messed up, zpool import works without any complains every time. (Sometimes the pool contains the disks identified by either their kernel provided IDs, some just via their scsi devices (/dev/sde)), so that i assume that zfs just scans all the available disks and then decides which disks are used as vdevs for which pool, based on their label data (or smartctl data). This is why i am wondering, if unraid would be able to circumvent the problem in a similar way.

Anyway, thanks for investigating.
    As i am using a NUC for my NAS Host, avoiding USB is not an option for me.

27 minutes ago, doc-unraid said:

Even when booting unraid, and some IDs are messed up, zpool import works without any complains every time.

Yes, because they don't care about the device IDs, Unraid does, it uses them to keep track of all array/pool assignments, devices that don't have a consistent ID, or in some cases have duplicate IDs for different devices, should not be used with Unraid.

I understand. I was just wondering (given those IDs tend to be less stable with some hardware setup than the smartctl provided info is), if it would be an improvement for unraid (optionally) to use identifiers generated from the smartctl data instead of the kernel provided IDs to keep track of the disk membership.

As i understand this would expand the usable hardware configs.

Don't know if it was possible (no idea of unraid internals) or if it was worth the effort, taking into account that you hinted at other possible problems with USB devices.

No hard feelings - then unraid just isn't usable for me and i'll go back to a simple linux+zfs setup and sell my license :)

Thanks @JorgeB