• [6.8.3] Time Machine Shares not Showing Up on Macs

amiskell
    • Minor

I'm fairly new to UnRAID and attempting to setup a time machine share for backing up the various macOS systems in the house. I've followed the guide to configure a new share with all the appropriate settings. However, it's not being detected by any of the macOS machines as an available time machine share.

I noticed that UnRAID isn't creating an registering a service entry for the time machine share in mDNS. If I query available mDNS services on the network, I see the ssh and smb services that UnRAID is advertising but not the adisk service for time machine.

If I manually register the appropriate avahi configuration the share is immediately detected by all macOS clients. However, it's only temporary until the system is restarted which rebuilds the entire /etc/avahi/services directory and undoes the manual registration.

It appears that UnRAID is relying on the functionality of Samba to automatically register services with avahi instead of static creating them and Samba is failing to do so for some reason. Since UnRAID already creates static configuration files based on it's own configuration maybe it would be a better solution to get generate the avahi .service file for time machine shares instead of relying on Samba's auto-registration.

unraid-diagnostics-20200409-0643.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I had an issue like this, and eventually I did get Time Machine System Preferences to pick up the share... it seems that you’ll have to mount it first (Cmd+K in Finder, smb://[email protected]/ShareName) and remember the credentials before it will show. This alone might not be enough... maybe try restarting finder from Force Quit and reconnecting the share. Does any of this help?

Tried that, unfortunately nothing. It does work perfectly if I register the share manually in Avahi so I think something is broken in the mDNS auto registration that Samba is using to register the share in Avahi.

It might make sense for @limetech to just create the appropriate .service file for Avahi whenever a share is marked as a time machine share instead of relying on Samba to do it. I can create the file manually, but it's destroyed upon reboot.