• [6.9.2] Filled cache drive and changing caching settings led to all shares disappearing, array seeming offline but not marked such

codetaku
    • Closed

Running version 6.9.2.  I have a share named "games".  It was set Cache: Yes.  While copying data to this share, the cache pool got entirely full.  Once I realized this, I changed it to Cache: Prefer.  I then started the Mover.  I realized that might not move all of the data to the array, which is what I wanted, so I changed the setting to Cache: No.  Upon making that change, I was told "Share games deleted."  Proceeding beyond that returned me to the Shares tab, which now had no shares at all listed.  On the main Dashboard, it said "No shares configured."  I opened a web terminal and upon performing "ls /mnt", I received the list of directories there along with an error message:  /bin/ls: cannot access '/mnt/user': Transport endpoint is not connected.  Attempts to ls the individual drives did show the data was still there, but despite the UI saying that the array was 'Online', it could not be accessed in the terminal.

I cleared out the data I had copied that filled the cache drive and rebooted the system and all shares re-appeared, retaining all of their settings.  It seems filling the cache drive entirely and messing with the Cache settings while the Mover was running led to something crashing.  Attached are the diagnostics which were collected prior to cleaning up the cache pool and rebooting (so cache was still full, shares did not appear, array showed Online, etc).

maple-diagnostics-20220116-0030.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Cache-yes shares are moved to the array when mover runs. Unless you run it manually the default is to run it once per day in the middle of the night.

Cache-prefer is exactly the wrong setting for your situation. Cache-prefer means you prefer that the files stay on cache, and any files that overflow to the array will be moved to cache when mover runs.

Mover ignores cache-no and cache-only shares.

So, cache-yes is the correct setting to get files moved from cache to array.

Since this is really a misunderstanding and not a bug, I am going to copy it to a thread in General Support and close this "bug report".

This is now closed for further comments

• Status Definitions

Open = Under consideration.

Solved = The issue has been resolved.

Solved version = The issue has been resolved in the indicated release version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion. Also for reports we cannot reproduce or need more information. In this case just add a comment and we will review it again.

Retest = Please retest in latest release.

Priority Definitions

Minor = Something not working correctly.

Urgent = Server crash, data loss, or other showstopper.

Annoyance = Doesn't affect functionality but should be fixed.

Other = Announcement or other non-issue.