• [6.9.2] Hypervisor memory leak [Solved with 6.10.0 RC2]

Caennanu
    • Solved Minor

Good day,

I have come across the issue that when running a Linux Based operating systems in the Unraid VM with CCTV software it does not release memory as it should. When testing with a baremetal install on the same hardware the issue does not occur. And the best part is, that i do not seem to be alone.

Main testing:

ShinobiCCTV in Ubuntu 20.04LTS

ShinobiCCTV in CentOS 8

ShinobiCCTV in Docker (SpaceInvaderOne, with and without hardware acceleration)

Third party testing (@Thirs):

ShinobiCCTV on Ubuntu 20.04LTS

ShinobiCCTV on Docker

IspyAgentDVR on Docker

See 

for more info.

To elaborate on the issue.

The issue with the CCTV software in combination with the hypervisor occurs after a couple of days. Where a baremetal install works without any memory related issues. After about 4 - 5 days all of the assigned memory (32gb) is eaten away and not released. While i have tested a baremetal install on the same machine (see signature) i have also tested a baremetal install on an old 4c/4t i5 laptop with 4gb of memory. Which runs flawless for the same period of time.

The issue where the memory is not released is not OS specific, as both Ubuntu, CentOs and Docker have the issue. And it is reproducable across the board by simply installing atleast the mentioned CCTV applications, adding camera's to the dashboard, don't even have to set up any motion detection or anything, and it will slowly start eating away at the memory.

For docker this means that eventually the docker will crash and restart the application. For the VM's however, this means they just simply start throwing 'out of memory' errors, which make sence.

The diagnostic file will contain a 'few' message about a corrupted memory module. But since i have tested a bare metal install on the same hardware, this to me is irrelevant as the bare metal install works without issues.

I do not know at this time what other information to add. 

The people over at Shinobi seem to be willing to help resolve the issue, or atleast seem fortcomming to me. So maybe there is potential to work together on this issue.

Kind regards,

bigboii-diagnostics-20211026-0813.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Gday all,

So i upgraded to 6.10.0 RC2 about 11 days ago.

Since then, the memory leak is less (for now).

Continuing to monitor the state.

Good day all,

Since upodating to 6.10.0 RC2 and restarting everything. The issue with memory leaking seems to have completely resolved. I am nolonger able to reproduce the memory leak issues i have experienced in both windows and ubuntu VM's.

Hope this makes it to final stable build!

Edited by Caennanu