• Dockers wanting to update, but don't in the end?

urbanracer34
    • Closed Minor

So I appear to be having a problem with dockers, Specifically Linuxserver ones, but they said to me it is an unRAID issue and it is "not just us." I chatted with someone from Linuxserver in private and they said it is an issue with "Update all containers."

The dockers will say there is an update ready, but when updated, it does not do anything.

Tried manually updating a docker, same result. 

gibson-diagnostics-20190829-1841.zip

• Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Are you using pihole as DNS server for your Unraid machine?

When network connection issues exist, it may result in the behavior you are seeing.

This issue is effecting a wide swath of people. Personally I have 27 containers on one of my servers, all 10 of the LSIO show update ready, none of the other containers do. They were all up to date yesterday.

No connection issues at my end of the pipe, one of my other servers behind the same router just updated a binhex container just fine.

A different server at another location with 10 containers, all 3 of the LSIO show update ready. If it's unraid's fault, then unraid is preferentially picking on LSIO.

50 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Are you using pihole as DNS server for your Unraid machine?

When network connection issues exist, it may result in the behavior you are seeing.

No. No pihole here.

10 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

This issue is effecting a wide swath of people. Personally I have 27 containers on one of my servers, all 10 of the LSIO show update ready, none of the other containers do. They were all up to date yesterday.

No connection issues at my end of the pipe, one of my other servers behind the same router just updated a binhex container just fine.

A different server at another location with 10 containers, all 3 of the LSIO show update ready. If it's unraid's fault, then unraid is preferentially picking on LSIO.

I am not having any connection issues here AFAIK. Connection has been stable.

16 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

If it's unraid's fault, then unraid is preferentially picking on LSIO.

Ah, maybe I need to change this part of the code 😉

if (container_author == "LSIO")
    then return_message "update ready"
    else check_for_update()

I have 14 containers - 8 containers show update ready. Update all, check for update and again show update ready.

Same thing here...  have several containers showing updates but there really isn't.  Seems to be containers that had updates in the past few days or so.  

If it's not an unraid issue, the issue is docker hub.

We don't have any more failed builds than normal at our end and if we would have gotten any problems pushing to docker hub our build pipeline would have made an error.

FWIW, I checked our containers that I run on my own server, when updating them one by one the update notification went away.

I was discussing this with @urbanracer34 last night and it seems it could be an error with the "update all containers button".

2 minutes ago, j0nnymoe said:

FWIW, I checked our containers that I run on my own server, when updating them one by one the update notification went away.

I was discussing this with @urbanracer34 last night and it seems it could be an error with the "update all containers button".

After updating each one by one, search for updates again and all your dockers will show updates as before. If you look at the output of the update window, you will see it pulls 0 data.

Edited by bastl
    17 minutes ago, bastl said:

After updating each one by one, search for updates again and all your dockers will show updates as before. If you look at the output of the update window, you will see it pulls 0 data.

The only thing I can think of is something has changed at docker hub which is causing unraid's update checker to think there is an update. We've not changed our release workflow since we implemented pipeline (6 months ago).

Updating the one by one does not help on my end. Also if I update just 1 of the LSIO containers it will show that it has an update available immediately after updating and checking for updates.

I just tried creating a new docker.img file, which is a common fix for this kind of problem, and it still gets the same problem when I start re-adding my LSIO Docker containers.

Interestingly I've have the same problem with the oauth2proxy container hosted from quay.io. Unraid always thinks there's an update for it even though there is none. I have a feeling these two problems might be connected somehow.

1 hour ago, j0nnymoe said:

I've seen a comment from someone on our discord that it could be an AWS issue.

Interestingly enough, only my containers from LSIO are suffering from that.  Everything else (binhex, djoss, etc) does not show an update unless one actually is available.

To my workflow however it's irrelevant as I use the auto update plugin to just handle everything for me daily, and never ever go to the docker page and check for updates.

Edited by Squid

I don't know how others build their container, but we build all in Jenkins (might be an exception or two) and I'm not sure if everyone else is doing that. So that might be the difference. Might be something happened with the api regarding pushed images.

However, I don't see that this is something we could fix as we do not host any images ourself and everything is on docker hub, so any issues with checking for updates is not under our control. It's either docker that have an issue or unraids update check (change in api in newer versions?)

My suspicion is something changed at docker hub and there is a mismatch with the Unraid implementation.

Needs to be investigated though and strange (if true) it only affects LSIO containers.

I'm also seeing this with the pihole/pihole container I installed last night after switching from diginc/pihole

Anyone know if it was caused by the Community Applications plugin update on 8/27?

Edited by rsuplido
    14 minutes ago, rsuplido said:

Anyone know if it was caused by the Community Applications plugin update on 8/27?

No. I had this issue before updating CA today.

Not LSIO dockers only:

pihole/pihole
    raymondmm/tasmoadmin
    linuxserver/letsencrypt
    linuxserver/oscam
    library/influxdb
    linuxserver/duckdns
    homeassistant/home-assistant
    library/telegraf
    linuxserver/sonarr
    linuxserver/transmission

• Upvote 1