• Included Disks In Share

Albin
    • Minor

I recently Shrank the amount of disk in my array but increased the capacity of the array (more TB with fewer disks).

During this transition, I used unBalance to move everything off the drives that I intended to remove from the array.  After moving all the files off the drives, I specifically included "disk 3" for every share.  After having the disks empty I Replaced one with a higher capacity, and in a separate process I removed one (then used the "New Config" tool).  

This multi step process took my array from (2) 4TB parity disks and (4) 4TB drives to a larger array of (2) 18TB parity disks, (1) 16TB Data drive and (1) 18TB data drive.

Step one replaced parity drives

Step two replaced "disk 3" with 16TB

Step three used Unbalance to move everything off of "disk 1" and "Disk 2" on to "Disk 3"

Step four Change shares to include "disk 3"

Step three replaced "disk 4" with 18TB (realized that I needed more room because the new 16TB was full)

The problem I ran into is I originally had 

party 4TB 

party 2 4TB

disk 1  4TB

disk 2 4TB

disk 3 4TB replaced with 16TB (specifically included in every share)

disk 4 4TB replaced with 18TB

but now have

party 18TB 

party 2 18TB

disk 1 18TB was "disk 4"

disk 2 16TB was "disk 3"

Although I have more space, unraid I can't write to the shares because there is not enough room.  When I go into shares>included disk it states "all" and for excluded disks it states "none".  I am wondering if somehow unraid is still only including the one particular disk "disk 3" which is actually "disk 2" after running the "new config" tool.  ("disk 3" became "disk 2" and "disk 4" became "disk 1").

When going to share>disks included it does not show "disk 3" as marked, What seems to fix this is to specifically include all disks.  Then I can write to the share.  I then uncheck the disks included and hit apply, and can still write to the share.

Fix Common Problems shows each share as having an error.  Once I change the share to include any available disk, the Error is no longer present after a rescan.  (I see that fix "common problems" eludes to this or a similar issue 

"disk3 is not defined / installed in the array. This will cause errors when writing to the array. Fix it here: "link to share"  NOTE: Because of how the UI works, disk4 will not appear in on this page. You will need to make a change (any change), then revert the change and hit apply to fix this issue"

Just seems like Unraid should know "disk 3" and "disk 4" should no longer be part of the included disks. Or at a minimum there should be a batch reset option, or some type of blanket reset option for this.  I keep thinking maybe I should have reset the "disks included" prior to the new config, but I also did not want something to write to one of the shares and end up with data on the emptied disks.

I hope that I laid the above out well enough to be understood.

For now I will just check the "disks included" option and hit apply, then go back and uncheck them and hit apply again, which seems to set things straight.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments