• Server goes "unresponsive" every day

martijndemulder
    • Urgent

Since upgrading to 6.12.x (currently on 6.12.2) my server goes "unresponsive" every other day  make that: just when it feels like crashing....up to a couple of times a day!

With "unresponsive" I mean: i'm still able to ping it (which is kind of strange) and judging to the activity-led it seams to be busy, but I just can't connect to it anymore. No management, no ssh, all dockers are unreachable and vm's as well.

What I checked already is:

- Docker mode = set to ipvlan

- All network interfaces are set to ipv4 only

- Logging is clean (except for the Parity Check Tuning plugin which kept flooding the log with a 255 message so I uninstalled it)

When the server becomes unresponsive the only "solution" is to hard-reset it. Which is obviously really undesirable.

Attached is my syslog. Any ideas so far how to approach this issue?syslog-10.10.5.3.logmassivedump-diagnostics-20230706-1753.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Seeing a lot of OOM errors, this is generally not lack of RAM but RAM fragmentation, you can try limiting your containers/VMs or using for example the swap file plugin.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Seeing a lot of OOM errors, this is generally not lack of RAM but RAM fragmentation, you can try limiting your containers/VMs or using for example the swap file plugin.

Where do you see this in the logging? And not sure what the cause for this would be. VMs are limited, the dockers aren't but as far as I can see aren't consuming a lot of RAM.

e.g.:

Jun  7 10:11:01 MassiveDump kernel: syncthing invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x140cca(GFP_HIGHUSER_MOVABLE|__GFP_COMP), order=0, oom_score_adj=0

On 7/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, JorgeB said:

e.g.:

Jun  7 10:11:01 MassiveDump kernel: syncthing invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x140cca(GFP_HIGHUSER_MOVABLE|__GFP_COMP), order=0, oom_score_adj=0

On one of the latest crashes I was still logged on to ssh and noticed high cpu usage from "kswapd0" which kind of matches your indication of that the system was swapping memory too much.

Still there's no obvious reason for it to do so. The memory isn't over-allocated at the moment.

Since my last post, I downgraded back to 6.11.5 with minor issues. Just as the release note states you have to force update all of your dockers and manually start them. Besides that no specials.

The system has been running great ever since. Indicating to me that there's ether something wrong with my combination of plugins/ dockers and 6.12.2 or the software i.c.m. with my hardware. 

I'm leaning towards ruling the last one out since there's a lot of complaint about the stability of this version.