• System boots from 6.9.0 but wont reboot!

superloopy1
    • Minor

Title says it all. Upgraded to 6.9.1 ok, tried to reboot and it just hangs, power off and clean start and it boots, complete with parity check,what's up?

I've regressed to 6.8.3, everything works!

Any ideas guys?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

At least one person who reported a similar problem had success by switching from legacy to UEFI boot.

Was there any 6.9.0 upgrade actions to do with this? My system has been rock solid for years, its only this latest upgrade that has broken it, cant be a coincidence., once i regress back to 6.8.3 its back to normal able to reboot from the main screen no problem. Any link to this other occurrence? What diagnostics are likely to be able to identify the problem here as everything works until i press 'reboot', the system goes down as expected, just doesnt return, needs a power off/on.

Edited by superloopy1

Dunno, maybe make sure motherboard bios is up to date?  There are huge changes between Linux kernel in 6.8.3 vs. more recent.

Same problem, see my post

I've have an issue with the microcode that's in bzroot causing it to hang at "bzroot... OK".  Running on a Supermicro X10 MB with a Xeon E5 V3.

If you want to try without the microcode, after installing the 6.9 update via the GUI, run the following commands before rebooting.

cp /boot/bzroot /boot/bzroot-orig
    dd if=/boot/bzroot-orig bs=512 skip=$(cpio -ivt -H newc < /boot/bzroot 2>&1 > /dev/null | awk '{print $1}') of=/boot/bzroot

Those commands will strip out the microcode.

-SeeDrs

Solve my problem for 6.8.3 -> 6.9.0, but I'm waiting for the answer for 6.9.0 -> 6.9.1

One thought for people having this issue... until you are confident that reboots work, I'd suggest stopping the array manually before you shutdown or reboot. Array status is stored on the flash, so if the array stops successfully before the system hangs then you can avoid unclean shutdowns and forced parity checks.