Constantly have to run `xfs_repair` on one drive

joelrfernandes

Hello all,

Honestly I'm not a big expert on the hardware side of things but, I'm finding myself having to run `xfs_repair` on one particular drive over and over again. The symptoms are always the same: eventually some directories stop providing file lists, or one Docker container starts having issues with a directory, etc. When that happens I always have to run `xfs_repair -vL /dev/md8` to get that drive back again. I'm attaching the output of one of the last times I ran xfs_repair. I'm also attaching the diagnostics log.

Any help would really be appreciated.

monster-diagnostics-20171118-2219 (1).zip

xfs_repair.log

No, that's not the drive. In fact, that notice has been there for a while now (maybe over a year) but I never had issues with that drive so far. I do remember searching here at the time and I think I read that error might not cause any harm, but yes, I should still replace it.

The drive that I constantly run xfs_repair is disk8

It is certainly in the.manufacture's best interest to not report a disk failing when it is not. So when they say it is failing, I tend to believe it.

But failing the end to end attribute is very rare without other symptoms. And you say you've used for over a year without it getting worse. 

My general rule of thumb is if you can run three consecutive parity checks and the smart attributes don't change, that the drive may have 'stabilized' (whatever that means).

But I would replace it and use this drive for backups if it seems pretty reliable. Or better yet rma if under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived