Intel P4000 - outgrowing stock power supply connections

rxnelson

I jumped on the wagon and bought the Natex combo and put it in an Intel P4000 chassis some time ago. Everything works fine, however, I want to experiment more with some VMs and adding some hardware. Much to my dismay I’ve found that I only have 2 SATA power cables, 1 molex, and I believe a 4 pin cpu connector left after plugging in all drives and adding a 5 in 3 adapter.

Have others limped along with Y connectors or has anyone swapped out the stock PSU for something more modern? It appears that the back of the case is made to allow for this but I wondered if anyone has done it already. Also, obviously I lose some redundancy over the stock PSUs.

@rxnelson -

Not familiar with a P4000, but sounds like you have 3 usable power connectors.

While power splitters / converters can give trouble, they normally work fine. But if you're feeding the output of one splitter to the input of another, you're asking for trouble. I'd have no hesitation splitting a couple native power connectors in a server to add a coupe extra drives.

I think I can install 1 card as there is a dual SATA to 8 pin connector but the other requires dual molex. I guess I’m more interested to know if anyone has just yanked the PSU in favor of something else or there is some obscure intel part number I can hunt down that will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the PSU has the power you need, consider breaking out the soldering iron. And if your soldering/custom cabling making is weak, the power splitters / converters mentioned above are the source of problems, but often work for long periods before needing to be reseated, and then work for long period again.