First off, not sure which forum this comes under. I believe I'm finally finished setting this build up on my server at home, I just wanted to share some of my notes from going through the process in case someone else has similar problems or is setting up a similar environment.
Also, apologies in advance for the length.
All up it took me 4 or 5 days, most of that time was spent making backups of existing data, partially restoring the backups and waiting for parity checks/builds to complete ... found a faulty drive in the process.
At this stage I'm still 'testing' it (and will be for a few months due to using 5b14), however everything appears to be working fine. I'll be adding more drives (and yes buying a couple of licenses in the near future), so I'll see how that turns out.
From the start, I wanted to create a build that satisfied these requirements:
Using unRAID 5.0 beta 14
Running from hard disk (Slackware 13.1, kernel 3.1.1)
64-bit system (Slackware64 w/ multilib)
Latest VirtualBox installed & running 2x VM guests
Mediatomb compiled & running (I have a custom import.js script, and play everything on my WD TV Live)
I used this guide for most of it. Very well written and really not that many problems! (I have compiled a few kernels in my time, so that may have been an advantage ...)
For adding in multilib support, following the 'quick & dirty' part of this guide was all that was necessary.
The forum thread here regarding 64-bit support mentions changing the symlinks to ensure unRAID uses the correct libraries; this wasn't necessary. (Actually unRAID restored the original symlinks upon reboot!) My build displays HDD's the same way under the Main tab of the unRAID web interface as mentioned in the thread.
The guide to installing VirtualBox in unRAID (here) was very informative but ultimately redundant in this setup. If you install the dev libraries with Slack64 during install and compile your own kernel (as part of the guide to installing unRAID to a full slack distro) then the VirtualBox installer from Oracle's website should simply install without a hitch. Just remember to run guest VM's under a user not root ...
Here's a list of problems I encountered & the solutions:
Unable to boot from flash disk
Cause: flash disk not properly formatted & prepared correctly
Solution: Proper formatting of flash disk using guiformat.exe (fat32format)
Creating USB flash boot disk for Slackware64
Cause: Provided file & instructions are linux-specific
Solution: Boot from existing linux-based USB flask boot disk, use dd from within root console to overwrite 2nd USB flash boot disk (dd if=/folder/usbboot.img of=/dev/sdX bs=512)
Cannot boot slackware system once installed on HDD
Cause: Question at end of Slack install process - 'Detected OS/2 or Partition Magic boot loader'
Solution: ANSWER NO at this question.
Additional info: Suspect Slack installer is detecting the unetbootin/tuxboot bootloader on the USB flash disk
Slackware USB install doesn't show any Slackware64 libraries to install!!
Cause: Using Slackware USB flash disk to install Slackware64
Solution: Use the Slackware64 USB flash disk installer to install Slackware64 (sigh)
Unable to access newly created files on user shares
Cause: Messing with users outside of unRAID ... initially thought it was a samba bug
Solution: Don't create/edit/touch users outside of unRAID to be used within unRAID!
Finally, on compiling & running Mediatomb:
Used AlienBob's ffmpeg SlackBuild to setup ffmpeg. The pre-built packages didn't work as they are compiled in an x11 environment (my server is headless). Had to make a few customisations:
You need YASM 1.0 at least to build x264. Used slackbuild.org to find the latest.
Added --disable-fontconfig to the libass configure.
Disabled vaapi in the final ffmpeg compile - short answer is couldn't bothered getting the drivers setup for the AMD chipset on my MB.
This gives you ffmpeg 0.9
Used slackBuilds from SlackBuild.org to add in support for libmp4v2 & SpiderMonkey js - need the js for my custom import.js script in mediatomb.
Compiling mediatomb against latest ffmpeg (0.9) fails as specified in this bug report. There's a patch there which when added to the Mediatomb sources then allows Mediatomb to be compiled with the slackBuild from SBo.
As its probably not a good idea to be accessing /mnt/diskX or /mnt/shares directly from within the server (and behind unRAID's back ... it might get offended) I added an entry to fstab to mount one of unRAIDS CIFS shares - specified noauto as I'll figure out how to auto-mount it later. Will probably fail if its mounted before emhttp brings it up.
At the moment I only have the one 1Tb WD drive in there - its not an EARS but the 3x 2Tb drives I have are. One is used for parity, and one is holding a backup of just about everything I hold dear so is not going into the array any time soon.
Maybe in another 6 months if the array is still stable & no other bugs have turned up (maybe 5.0 will be out of beta by then too).
The third 2Tb EARS was the faulty one (wasted a good 12 hours waiting for 2x parity checks to confirm) and I'll be sending it away for RMA tomorrow (today is a public holiday).
I have a 4th one but can't use it yet (no comment).
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8gb g.skill memory (1300mhz I think)
Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H v2.1
Antec 900-2 case, got about 10 fans all over it.