Windows Gaming VM - SSD Passthrough

I’ve a 250GB Samsung 840 SSD I decided to dedicate for to a gaming VM so I installed it into the server and checked auto mount and passthrough. On the gaming VM I added a second disk, selected manual, disks/Samsung, qcow2, data or virtio, and updated. I then started the VM, seen the disk in disk manager, formatted, assigned drive letter, and installed steam and some games on this drive.

This worked great until the server crashed which happened several times recently and not sure how to find out why.  When I hard reset the server and everything came back online the VM didn’t start. When I checked the log for the VM it said it couldn’t find the SSD even though I could see it was mounted.  I in mounted/remounted the SSD and started the VM back up. The SSD was missing so I went back into disk management and seen the disk needed initialization/formatting!!  It was also labeled as RAW which I thought strange since I set it up as qcow2. 

I decided it was ok to lose the data so I tried to reinitialize and format but every time I do the VM freezes/pauses. I cannot unpause and get it to work.  I considered to uncheck pass through and format directly in console and then add it back again but am wondering why all this happened to begin with and don’t want to go through this every time the server crashes?  Rather than pass through should I somehow make it a SMB/NFS share ... would it be as fast and avoid this issue going forward?

On 12/13/2020 at 3:38 AM, JorgeB said:

Do you mean in UD? You either mount with UD or pass trough to a VM, can't do both.

I thought I had both mounted and passed through but I did get it back up and running and it's currently only passed through.  Unfortunately it only reads at 60 MB/s so my games are not being loaded as I thought they would. Time to search if there's a different way to pass this through to read at >= 400 MB/s...