Unraid not booting correctly

ThomasEg

Hello,

I've been having issues with my NAS "kinda shutting down" suddenly. It kills the OS and the IPMI says that it is "off". But all hardware(disks, fans, leds etc) are kept on... there is no way out of this state except pulling the plug from the PSU. In trying to resolve this i tried a BIOS-upgrade. This made things even worse and Unraid wouldn't even boot, so i rolled back the BIOS. However, some time during this process i lost the settings in the BIOS and now i can't get unraid to boot properly. I can't figure out if it has something to do with a missing BIOS-setting or if something broke in my Unraid-install during one of these "not so nice"-shutdowns...

The issue is that i CAN boot Unraid...sortof... i get the classic blue dialog during boot and it boots up. But it seems like something is wrong, all configuration is missing. In fact the /boot/config is missing almost everything. I'm having a hard time getting a diagnostic file of the system since i have no network and i'm a bit unsure how else to do it with "half an OS"...

After reading through a couple of posts in here and a little of googling i tried pulling the usb-device and repairing and running the .bat file for making it bootable again. It didn't change anything. It did say something needed repair. But it didn't change anything during the boot 😕 When i look at the USB stick in windows i can see all the configuration files and stuff that it is complaining about during boot, e.g. "/boot/config/ident.cfg"...

I've also been trying both UEFI and "legacy" booting with no apparent difference...

Any clues? I'm thinking that there might be some sort of BIOS-setting that prevents Unraid from assigning the USB-stick or something...

/Thomas

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you plug the USB drive into a Windows/Mac system and it suggests running a repair you DO want to do this.

I would also try downloading the zip file for the release you are running and then extract all the bz* type files overwriting those on the flash drive in case one of them has become corrupt.

Thank you for your reply!

Just to clearify, i did the repair, but it didn't change anything 😞

I'll try your suggestion of the overwriting the bz-files, thanks...

38 minutes ago, ThomasEg said:

Any ideas for things to try?

Back up the USB stick and then start as if you were starting from scratch so that everything currently on the stick is wiped.   Then copy the key file from the config folder on your backup back to the config folder on the USB stick.  It that boots then you at least know that the USB stick is not damaged and all the system files are OK. 

You can then try copying across the contents of the 'config' folder (which contains all your settings) from the backup to see if it still boots.  If that then fails it is going to be a case of working out what in that folder has been corrupted that is causing your issues.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

[....] It that boots then you at least know that the USB stick is not damaged and all the system files are OK. [...]

...well, i think i found the original culprit. There was defently something wrong with the thumbdrive. Kept getting corrupted and then the image-tool started giving all sorts of errors when i tried flashing a clean new Unraid install. 6month old Samsung drive 😞 So it went flying and i am now using another thumb which flashes just fine...

...but.... i still get the errors on this fresh install. I'm losing my mind over this. This ran just fine before i did the stupid BIOS-flashing... what BIOS-setting can possible cause Unraid to behave like this?

image.png.1c94711d0b998f36936a79ae492af9ab.png

It's also waiting a long time for this:

image.png.45be1b7d2da7e68d8419649ef035512e.png

...i'm guessing this is the cause for why there is not config from the thumb... just haven't got a clue on why i can boot from the drive but Unraid can't find it...seems counterintuitive to me to be honest...

Edited by ThomasEg