SMB Multichannel support

I am looking at using unraid as a replacement for my current storage setup; however I am unable to get SMB multichannel working within unraid. The ability to use SMB multichannel within unraid will play a large role in choosing what storage solution I ultimately go with. Currently, my test server is connected to my switch through two 1Gb interfaces that are bonded with LACP. In my attempt to enable SMB multichannel, I added the following lines to the "Samba extra configuration" section in unraid:

server multi channel support = yes
protocol = SMB3

I then restarted both my unraid machine, and windows 10 machines. Once restarted, I mounted the share and attempted to transfer a file. I found that my transfer speeds had not increased, and that only a single interface on the client machine was being utilized for the transfer. To confirm my suspicions, I ran both update-SmbMultichannelConnection and Get-SmbMultichannelConnection within windows PowerShell, revealing that a SMB multichannel connection had indeed not been established. Currently, I have a Debian machine which is connected to the same switch through a LACP bond, hosting SMB shares with SMB multichannel working as intended. This leads me to believe that my current issues are related to the unraid configuration, rather than my network configuration. I have included my unraid diagnostics below and am running unraid version 6.8.3. Any help enabling SMB multichannel within unraid is greatly appreciated!

Edited by bobby3720
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to see if anyone has made in progress on this since I would really like to get it working.

I have the NIC configured separately with the ips of 192.168.0.50 and 192.168.1.50.

My Share is as follows

[data]
path = /mnt/dump/dataset
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
valid users = h8750
chmod -R 777 tank
writeable = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775
vfs objects = shadow_copy2
shadow: snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
shadow: sort = desc
shadow: format = -%Y-%m-%d-%H%M
shadow: snapprefix = ^zfs-auto-snap_\(frequent\)\{0,1\}\(hourly\)\{0,1\}\(daily\)\{0,1\}\(monthly\)\{0,1\}
shadow: delimiter = -20

If I connect to my share at \\192.168.0.50\data and \\192.168.1.50\data in separate windows. I can do two steams at ~125MB/s if I need to transfer multiple files so this does help but i cannot get a single steam working at 250MB. I do have both connections on the same switch and have tried on different switches to see if it made any difference and so far no luck.

Alternatively, I've been trying to find a 5 gigabit NIC that will work in Unraid that doesn't cost a fortune if anyone has any ideas?

It would be great if something like this would work but my guess is no

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542153-REG/qnap_qxg_5g1t_111c_5gbe_multi_gig_expansion_cardaquantia.html