Supported Flash Drives

davep1553

So I purchased a pair of new SanDisk thumb drives planning to use 1 as the boot drive for my unraid server only to find it doesn't have whatever serial number unraid needs. Agh. I have a cheep no name brand that I'm currently using and want to get off of. Does anybody have any ones they know work and are cheep, trial and error will be annoying and pricy. Perhaps we can turn this into a running list of known to work or not work since I can't find one anyplace. I'm lookin for at most $20 the supper compact form factor and I'm using a USB 3 port so if it is USB 3 would be a bonus.

works - Eventually

http://amzn.com/B07C4BCH1B - SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB3 - Purchased Sept. 28, 2020

Edited by davep1553

Ok, so...

I was using the USB creator tool and it would not list the drive so I assumed it didn't find what it was looking for. While trying to install on another drive the tool wouldn't work right, while reading up on that I discovered the manual install processes. Decided to try to manual install on the SanDisk. Now something weird happened...

I hit cancel on the USB creator but didn't close it. Removed no-brand drive.

Inserted the SanDisk and formatted it Fat32 with the UNRAID name (as per the manual install instructions) and the USB creator application suddenly loaded it with all the data?!?!

Put it in the server but wouldn't boot.

Went back to PC run the make bootable bat file and presto. I have unRAID up and running on my SanDisk.

Edited by davep1553
  • 3 months later...

Just bought a SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB3.1 Flash Drive to replace my physically bigger noname drive while in trial mode. Would not recommend it. Unraid.USB.Creator.Win32-1.6.exe does not accept it (drive does simply not show up). I tried reformatting it, using diskpart and finally rufus without success. I'll stay with my old drive, just weird that the communication about valid drives is not a huge pinned post.