Disks not being detected/refuse to be added

Good evening,

I'm at my wits end here trying to get my Unraid setup. I have 3 6TB HGST HUS726060ALS644 drives that I'm trying to use to get started with my array. They are connected to an LSI SAS9220-8i flashed to IT mode. On system boot, the system recognizes that there are 3 devices connected to the SAS card. When I go to the Unraid panel and try adding devices, only one shows up, and if I try to add it, the page refreshes and it disappears from selection. The other devices do not show up at all. If I go to terminal and lsscsi it seems that all the drives have an assigned address(?). To ensure it's not an issue with the 3.3v pin issue, I have them powered with molex cables. I've also tried two different breakout cables and still have the same issues.

Does anyone have possible solutions? I have attached my diagnostics for review, as well as a txt file with the results of a smartctl command. (Though upon review, I'm seeing a spindle impending failure warning on one of them, the one that is detected before not being able to be added to unraid.)

Screenshot 2021-01-06 182128.png

chaldeas-diagnostics-20210106-1811.zip

smart.txt

Edited by SentryDown
On 1/7/2021 at 1:52 AM, JorgeB said:

All 3 disks have the same ID, that won't work with Unraid, devices need an unique ID, looks like your using a NetApp enclosure, no experience with those but other users have been using them and they usually don't do that.

I'm not seeing where they have the same ID. They all have the same model number but looking at the smart data they all have different uids. 

I also ended up buying another SAS card in case that was the issue but I'm still running into the same problem with the drives. They're clearly powering on but they keep appearing as NOT READY (e.g. spun down, busy)

39 minutes ago, SentryDown said:

I'm not seeing where they have the same ID.

You're right, I was just looking at the model and didn't check the log, this is the problem:

Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 11721045168 512-byte logical blocks: (6.00 TB/5.46 TiB)
Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: f7 00 10 08
Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, supports DPO and FUA
Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Spinning up disk...
Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: .not responding...
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1 TIMES] ###
Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: sd 6:0:2:0: [sdd] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Jan  6 16:06:10 Chaldeas kernel: sd 6:0:1:0: [sdc] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08

sdb is correctly initialized, but sdc and sdd fail to read capacity, possibly a disk problem, but they could also have some kind of protection enable, it's common with NetApp drives, though nothing is appearing in the incomplete SMART reports.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

sdb is correctly initialized, but sdc and sdd fail to read capacity, possibly a disk problem, but they could also have some kind of protection enable, it's common with NetApp drives, though nothing is appearing in the incomplete SMART reports.

Any idea on how to disable said protection? Or should I just return these and go hunting for another batch of drives?

That usually appears in the SMART report, since it doesn't it might be a device problem, but don't really have experience with SAS devices, just by seeing different issues on the forum, one of those is being "formatted with type 2 protection", if you google that you see the solution is to reformat the disks with sg3_utils, you can still try that, if the disks fail to format it most likely confirms a device problem.