ChunkSync 0.4 Slackware Package

I liked to test ChunkSync to create incremental backups of huge image files, but sadly there was no slackware package for Unraid available. Finally I tried to convert the deb package with deb2tgz, but altough it installed without errors it returned only the following (because its a 32 bit version I think):

chunksync -h
-bash: /usr/bin/chunksync: No such file or directory

So I tried to create my very first slackware package by using a source 😱

I found a manual and after several errors I found out that I first needed to install all unraid dev tools.

I skipped the first step as the package did not contain a configure shell script. Then I had to create manually some folders, moved all files from /tmp/build/usr/local to /tmp/build/usr (so chunksync will be installed in /usr/bin) and finally build the package with this command:

makepkg -l y -c y ../chunksync-0.4-x86_64.tgz

And hey, it seems to work ^^

Maybe someone else needs it, so I attached it to this post.

Using chunksync is simple, first shutdown a VM and then execute it as follows (change path of course):

chunksync 104857600 "/mnt/user/domains/W10 Vanilla/vdisk1.img" "/mnt/user/Backup/domains/W10 Vanilla/vdisk1.img"

By that it will created the chunks in a really deep dir structure like this:

/mnt/disk9/Backup/domains/W10 Vanilla/vdisk1.img/00/00/00/00/00/00/01/0d (100 MiB)

Screenhot:

140077891_2021-01-1322_41_08.png.20c9736c01db20e1ec6efda24a40a560.png

The incremental backup needs an additional flag with the path to the last backup:

chunksync -l "/mnt/user/Backup/domains/W10 Vanilla/vdisk1.img" 104857600 "/mnt/user/domains/W10 Vanilla/vdisk1.img" "/mnt/user/Backup/domains/W10 Vanilla/2/vdisk1.img"

Rebuilding could be done through unchunkfs or cat.

My plan is to include chunksync in my incremental rsync script for huge files.

chunksync-0.4-x86_64.tgz