You do not have permission to access <Unraid Server.> Contact your network administrator

Greetings all,

It's been a terrible day for Unraid and I.  Last night my rsync backup job failed for some unknown reason.  After checking the logs on the job, I realized the server had become unavailable.  The backup Unraid server now won't boot from ANY USB drives...  That is not the worst part.  While I was trying to fix that, I mistakenly removed the USB from my primary Unraid server...  I put it back in immediately, though I don't know that I put it in the same USB port. 

Now, I can access the GUI from a web browser.  I can stop or start the array.  I cannot, however shutdown or restart the box, nor can I access any of the shares from other devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update:  I got the second Unraid server to start back up.  Apparently the HBA bios needed to be disabled....  Not sure why that affected things 2 weeks into use...

Of course the machine is performing a parity sync that is slated to finish in just over 2 days, but the interesting thing is, I cannot access shares on that unraid server either...  Same error message in the topic from my win10 laptop, my windows server 2016, or ( albeit with a more Apple message) on my iPhone via FileBrowser.

I also realized that a scheduled user script no longer runs.  (rsync backup job)

Update #2:  I used one of my old Buffalo WSS5400 units to create a new Unraid server.  I added all the same plugins and security, and created a share.  SMB and NFS are set up identically, as near as I can tell, on the 3 servers.  I can access the share on the new server, but on the old servers, as soon as I try to access them either by name or IP, I get the error    

Network Error

Windows cannot access \\<IP Address>

You do not have permission to access \\<IP Address> Contact your network administrator to request access.

Both offending Unraid server can talk to each other via rsync in the terminal, but not via script.  I am replicating data so that everything is on both servers.  Once that process is complete, I will be able to engage in more destructive fixes...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Edited by jbardlett

Hi there,

Sounds like you might have some hardware issues going on here.  Sorry to hear that.  Also not sure why the HBA would need to be changed at all after everything was working fine for 2 weeks straight.  Very odd indeed.

So it sounds like your original two Unraid servers, while back up and running, are not exporting shares correctly for you.  First and foremost, you can connect to both of the servers via webGui now, yes?  And both servers are showing all the storage devices correctly and the array is also starting correctly?  What about any apps (containers or plugins)?  Are those working as well?  What do you see on the Shares page in the webGui for either server?

I'm also curious if any permissions got screwed up in the process here.  Can you terminal into the server and check the permissions of the subfolders under /mnt/user?  They all should be set to nobody:user.  

Lastly, please attach system diagnostics from both primary Unraid servers.  You can obtain these from the Tools > Diagnostics page.  We'll need to see those to continue diagnosing your issues.

3 hours ago, jonp said:

Hi there,

Sounds like you might have some hardware issues going on here.  Sorry to hear that.  Also not sure why the HBA would need to be changed at all after everything was working fine for 2 weeks straight.  Very odd indeed.

So it sounds like your original two Unraid servers, while back up and running, are not exporting shares correctly for you.  First and foremost, you can connect to both of the servers via webGui now, yes?  And both servers are showing all the storage devices correctly and the array is also starting correctly?  What about any apps (containers or plugins)?  Are those working as well?  What do you see on the Shares page in the webGui for either server?

I'm also curious if any permissions got screwed up in the process here.  Can you terminal into the server and check the permissions of the subfolders under /mnt/user?  They all should be set to nobody:user.  

Lastly, please attach system diagnostics from both primary Unraid servers.  You can obtain these from the Tools > Diagnostics page.  We'll need to see those to continue diagnosing your issues.

The device with the HBA issue wasn't booting from USB despite everything being set to ONLY boot from USB.  I found the solution in the forum that with that particular combination of SuperMicro mainboard and HBA, the BIOS on the HBA can randomly take over and try to boot from the HBA...  Took me a couple days of searching and reading and trying things to find that solution.... 

I can connect to both severs via the webgui at  this point.

The arrays are starting correctly; however, the original device (the one I accidentally yanked the USB stick out of while running) won't gracefully shut down or reboot.  It is also not running a scheduled script from the User Scripts plugin.  Krusader runs on both units.  I also added Plex on both and it works, and can see the data.  

I've changed all the shares to Public for both NFS and SMB on both devices. 

Permissions in nas3200 mnt/user all folders show nobody users except for the Music folder which shows root root

Permissions in coraid mnt/user all folders show nobody users

coraid-diagnostics-20210202-1611.zip nas3200-diagnostics-20210202-1611.zip

Hi again,

Wanted to check in on you with regards to this issue.  For the NAS3200 box, I would suggest running the New Permissions script under the Tools page.  This will fix any permissions that are out of whack.  I would probably do the same on coraid just in case there are permissions issues within the individual folders of the shares.  That's a good way to make sure that permissions are set correctly.  This will take a while to run as it has to touch every file in your system.

As for the server that won't shut down gracefully, are you saying that since you accidentally yanked the stick out, that server has NEVER been shut down?  Not even just a manual poweroff?  If so, you are going to need to hard power off that system and plug the flash back in and try to boot.  If that doesn't work correctly, you'll need to try repairing the flash drive on a Windows or mac computer in case there are damaged files inside.

Did your data replication job complete ok at this point?  Let me know where things stand so we can continue.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out the original issue...  The problem was with this script that I was using to replicate one server to another....

Once I edited the GO file back to normal and rebooted, I was able to access my shares.

Still can't gracefully shutdown or reboot either server, but I can at least stop the array and power down mechanically. 

• Like 1