[SOLVED] New to unraid. Adding new drive started another parity check

Hi everyone!

I wanted to create my own home server for a very long time and two days ago I finally built one. I'm loving Unraid so far for how easy it was to setup but today I encountered my first problem.

I had 4 external WD drives:

- WD Elements 8TB - completely empty - let's name it E1

- WD Elements 8TB - completely empty - E2

- WD My Book 8TB - with data - D1

- WD My Book 8TB - with data - D2

I started my array with the empty ones. One as parity, one as data1. It took about 11 hours to check the parity drive but after it finished I started moving data from D1 to my array through the share I have created. After that I stopped the array and turned off my system. I formatted D1 using Windows Explorer, installed it in the system, booted my server and assigned new drive as data2. Unraid started to checking new drive but it stopped at about 6%, displayed some error and started another parity check (which is now at 46% with 7hrs remaining).

Is it normal procedure for Unraid and new drives (for the system) that already had data on it? What should I do after parity check finishes?

I'm also attaching my diagnostics logs/raport. Thanks for all the answers and tips!

orion2-diagnostics-20210116-2208.zip

Edited by paululibro

Quick glance and it appears that when you installed the new drive you knocked some cabling slightly loose causing issues (SATA isn't exactly known for being a robust connector).  Reseat everything.

Also, once you have a parity drive, Unraid will always clear the drive out (write zeros to it) to ensure that parity remains consistent.  Quite normal, expected, and when you think about it, the only thing possible to happen)

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Quick glance and it appears that when you installed the new drive you knocked some cabling slightly loose causing issues (SATA isn't exactly known for being a robust connector).  Reseat everything.

So should I turn it off and check the connections or wait for the parity check to finish (50% now)? Won't it start again from zero after reboot?

• paululibro changed the title to [SOLVED] New to unraid. Adding new drive started another parity check