How Good Does The Client Machine Need To Be?

TheAbz

So Im setting up an unraid server with a Ryzen 3700x and an Radeon 5700xt.

I want to use it mainly for storage and back up but want to get into the world of VMs and Gaming from the Unraid server and just learn more about what i can do with Unraid.

Flight Sim and a bit of F1 is about all my gaming interest.

If i have understood the various post and videos corectly I would need to 'passthrough' to the GPU for gaming to be playable. Is this correct?

The other question that I then have is how good/what spec [cpu/ram/gpu] realisticly does the client machine need to be in order to play the games from the server at a reasonable level? 

I will most probably game at 1080p on a telly and prefer high settings.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, TheAbz said:

The other question that I then have is how good/what spec [cpu/ram/gpu] realisticly does the client machine need to be in order to play the games from the server at a reasonable level? 

Anything that can handle streaming video should suffice, I often play games on my Android TV and Chromebook using Steam Link software.

Some latency sensitive games aren't suitable such as shooters, but most others are fine.

You could also potentially have extended runs of HDMI & USB and game natively on TV instead

3 minutes ago, TheAbz said:

Could you elaborate on this please. Thanks.

Simply put, long cables from your server to the TV/Monitor you want to use, then it would be like setting up any other display.

Depending on length, you can look at powered cables, or extenders that use network cables (these are a bit pricey).

The ultimate version of this is using thunderbolt with a fibre cable and a dock, but that has traditionally been very expensive.

1 minute ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Simply put, long cables from your server to the TV/Monitor you want to use, then it would be like setting up any other display.

Depending on length, you can look at powered cables, or extenders that use network cables (these are a bit pricey).

The ultimate version of this is using thunderbolt with a fibre cable and a dock, but that has traditionally been very expensive.

Ah right. I think the longest cable i would need would be about 8m to the AMP.

There is the option to put the server closer to the AMP but that would involve some moving about of furniture etc. something to think about i suppose.

For now though just trying to get a little idea of what sort of spec would suffice for the client.