Time to upgrade server, need recommendations please. NVidia P2000

I'm looking to upgrade my server hardware.  Current hardware is listed in my signature.  I want to run a Nvidia P2000 or something similar for Plex and transcoding.  I have about 12 users and 8 streams max at any one time.  What mobo and CPU would you guys recommend?  Don't really have a budget, just wont something that will work for the next 5 years before I upgrade again

Thanks

Edited by squirrellydw
  • squirrellydw changed the title to Time to upgrade server, need recommendations please. NVidia P2000

i'm using an budget ITX setup with an aASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Version mobo (downgraded to bios P1.70 to avoid iommu conflicts, this  bios version is a bit tricky because entering directly in the uefi setup is plagued  with mouse stuck, you must press  F10 then select Enter setup to access the bios).

An AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (TDP Lowered to 45W in the Bios to reduce power consumption by losing only 3 to 10% in performances).

32 GiB of ram and a NVIDIA Quadro P2200 (Same price than P2200 but slightly more powerfull).

And a reduced pool of 3 SSDs one for cache, two others as Parity drive and Data drive.

I'm accessing my movies through an NFS share (Unassigned devices), my movies are on a NAS and the only role of my UNRAID machine it to desserve my plex clients, all i can say :

It needed a few tricks to be completely power efficient (enable nvidia persistence mode at startup to enable P8 state) but now it works like a charm.

For example it can handle 4 concurrent transcoding from 4K to 2160P, 7 or 8 concurrents transcoding x265 1080p to x264 1080p, and between 15 and 20 concurrents "simple" transcoding (eg x264 1080p to 480p or 720p), all my movies are encoded in HDlight (low bitrate between 3000 and 4000 MBps), and my cpu never bottleneck while transcoding.

I think with newer 8 core RYZEN you'll be on a safe way...

Edited by doobyns
17 minutes ago, doobyns said:

i'm using an budget ITX setup with an aASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Version mobo (downgraded to bios P1.70 to avoid iommu conflicts, this  bios version is a bit tricky because entering directly in the uefi setup is plagued  with mouse stuck, you must press  F10 then select Enter setup to access the bios).

An AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (TDP Lowered to 45W in the Bios to reduce power consumption by losing only 3 to 10% in performances).

32 GiB of ram and a NVIDIA Quadro P2200 (Same price than P2200 but slightly more powerfull).

And a reduced pool of 3 SSDs one for cache, two others as Parity drive and Data drive.

I'm accessing my movies through an NFS share (Unassigned devices), my movies are on a NAS and the only role of my UNRAID machine it to desserve my plex clients, all i can say :

It needed a few tricks to be completely power efficient (enable nvidia persistence mode at startup to enable P8 state) but now it works like a charm.

For example it can handle 4 concurrent transcoding from 4K to 2160P, 7 or 8 concurrents transcoding x265 1080p to x264 1080p, and between 15 and 20 concurrents "simple" transcoding (eg x264 1080p to x265 480p or 720p), all my movies are encoded in HDlight (low bitrate between 3000 and 4000 MBps), and my cpu never bottleneck while transcoding.

I think with newer 8 core RYZEN you'll be on a safe way...

You have this one?

Amazon.com: MISC Promo NVIDIA Quadro P2200 5GB 4 DPT GFX (6YT67AT): Electronics

Edited by squirrellydw