We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

(SOLVED) Removal of Network Card Caused Immediate Instability?

jim2cpu

I've been using Unraid now for about a year without issue in large part because of the great information on these forums and Spaceinvaderone's videos on YouTube. So thanks for that.

First weird thing occurred today. I had a 2-port Intel NIC in my Unraid box (Ryzen 7 2700/Asrock B450) and I dabbled a bit with virtualizing my router. I decided to cease that practice so wanted to yank the network card to go in another machine for a bare metal install of my preferred router/firewall OS...

Immediately following the removal, a few seconds after boot, the machine would crash *hard* and be stuck with the fans spinning at 100% forcing me to physically power the server off. Popped the network card back in and everything booted as per normal. I thought I would post and ask about this before troubleshooting further because the array didn't really like the forced power offs and the server is doing a parity check.

Note: I had this NIC isolated for passthrough in my flash config as per guidance from Spaceinvaderone... but prior to shutting the machine down to remove the network card, I removed that entry.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'll happily attach/provide any support information required. Cheers.

Edited by jim2cpu

You're a gentleman and a scholar. I believe you were correct. I should have stopped my VMs from auto-starting prior to powering down the system to remove hardware. I only passthrough 1 video card to a gaming VM... but it switched that graphics card to the one used by the host.

I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • jim2cpu changed the title to (SOLVED) Removal of Network Card Caused Immediate Instability?