Remove Drive from Cache Pool

On 2/5/2021 at 2:52 AM, JorgeB said:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=480418

Note that latest releases have a bug and cache replacement doesn't work, don't remember any reports about removal not working, but also didn't confirm it's working.

That's what I was following, and things def don't work as I excepted on 6.9.0-rc2.

I started with 1TB cache and wanted to upgrade it to 2 x 2TB in a Raid 1.

I added one 2TB to the 1TB, and let it complete it's balance operation.  What I expected was a 1TB cache, now mirrored across the 1TB and 2TB drive.  What I got was a 2.5TB cache?

I then tried to drop the 1TB and replace it with the 2TB, which lead to a error telling me too many missing disks.

I then added the 1TB back, and then added the 2nd 2TB, so the cache pool was 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB.  This resulted in a 3.5TB cache (?????).

After that, I tried to drop the 1TB, and still got the same too many missing disks error.

I fixed it by converting it to a Raid1c3, then dropping the 1TB, then converting it back to a Raid 1, which resulted in a 2 TB raid 1 cache.

16 hours ago, FrostyWolf said:

I added one 2TB to the 1TB, and let it complete it's balance operation.  What I expected was a 1TB cache, now mirrored across the 1TB and 2TB drive.  What I got was a 2.5TB cache?

2.5TB is correct for that config in raid1.

16 hours ago, FrostyWolf said:

I then tried to drop the 1TB and replace it with the 2TB, which lead to a error telling me too many missing disks.

Well, I did warn you that there's a bug and cache replacement doesn't work.