We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Plex Media Server symlink permissions

Eksitus

Hi,
I only recently started learning about Linux's permission and user system, and combining it with Unraid and docker it's not my level yet, so I'm looking forward to your help.

I have a Plex docker with mapped /mnt/user/plex_data/DATA/symlink_A that leads to /mnt/user/A.
From what I've read in order for this to work I need to give the plex access to this "A" share so it can read its contents.
How I go about finding how is the plex user colled (or its user-id?) and how to give it (preferably only read) access to the data?

So far I managed to find a work-around and map host path: /mnt/user/A as a container path: /A and it works as intended, so is it viable as a good long-term option or just a silly temporary solution?

With the above-mentioned possibility, it is not actually necessary for me to create this topic, but I think it may help someone with a similar problem in the future, and it gives the opportunity to learn something about the permissions system in Unraid 😄

Why do you want to map Plex to a symlink rather than just to /user/A? What's the purpose for that?

4 hours ago, Eksitus said:

So far I managed to find a work-around and map host path: /mnt/user/A as a container path: /A and it works as intended, so is it viable as a good long-term option or just a silly temporary solution?

That's not a work-around or a temporary solution.. that's how you are "supposed" to have Plex mapped..  Give Plex access to the share or shares that has your media.

4 hours ago, Eksitus said:

it is not actually necessary for me to create this topic

Correct.

Untitled.png.82905fee23f919432117f0a013d59040.png

You have to decide how you want the unRaid file system to be presented in Krusader.

Many Krusader users will have mappings that might be something like:

/mnt/user   -> /media

/mnt          -> /drives

/mnt          -> /unraid

In theory the second mapping includes the first and the third includes the other two but keeping them separate can be a good idea as it give you a good idea at what level you are currently accessing the Unraid file system