Motherboard and Raid card compatibility?

flybynite

Had posted a system build and a user mentioned that I there may be issues with the Supermicro card.

Please advise if this will in fact work or not.

If not could someone recommend a budget combo (motherboard and raid card) that's proven to work and is available for purchase.

I just don't want to run into problems and issues and rather buy the right parts in the first place.

MB = ASUS M4A785-M

Raid = SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

Here is my original thread with my complete system setup:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10849.0

I'm the one who ran all the tests in this thread between this board and the Supermicro SASLP cards.  I had two different boards and three different SASLP cards.  All the SASLP cards were tested in another system and demonstrated to be good.  Both boards had issues with the SASLP cards.  My final conclusion is that they were somehow incompatible (I expect it has to do with the motherboard expecting the SASLP card to be a video card, or something like that).  After extensive testing I was never able to get the two to work together.

However, if you look through the motherboard's thread you'll find at least a few people that claim to be using these two together with success.  So perhaps I just ran into a string of bad luck, it is difficult to say.

My recommendation would be to avoid this combo if you are able to.  However, if you already have the motherboard and the SASLP card then you can always just give it a try and see if it has any issues.

By the way, the Supermicro SASLP is a SATA controller card, not a RAID card.

The other issue with the motherboard is that it is very picky about which USB flash drives it will and won't boot from.

Ahh crap!  i just put in a order on that board 2 days ago.   Looks like I'll just send it back once it arrives and order a different board.

Need an advice....

Should I pick up this board..

Supermicro board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182234

or get one of the biostar boards off of ebay since newegg doesn't sell them anymore.

BIOSTAR A760G M2+

http://cgi.ebay.com/Biostar-A760G-M2-Motherboard_W0QQitemZ180623543128QQcategoryZ1244QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6993499978003174515

I'm the one who ran all the tests in this thread between this board and the Supermicro SASLP cards.  I had two different boards and three different SASLP cards.  All the SASLP cards were tested in another system and demonstrated to be good.  Both boards had issues with the SASLP cards.  My final conclusion is that they were somehow incompatible (I expect it has to do with the motherboard expecting the SASLP card to be a video card, or something like that).  After extensive testing I was never able to get the two to work together.

However, if you look through the motherboard's thread you'll find at least a few people that claim to be using these two together with success.  So perhaps I just ran into a string of bad luck, it is difficult to say.

My recommendation would be to avoid this combo if you are able to.  However, if you already have the motherboard and the SASLP card then you can always just give it a try and see if it has any issues.

By the way, the Supermicro SASLP is a SATA controller card, not a RAID card.

The other issue with the motherboard is that it is very picky about which USB flash drives it will and won't boot from.

Rajahal, I haven't bought either yet.  What you think of think  of the Biostar A760G M2+ Motherboard and the SASLP. 

Or is there a better combo you recommend?

Thanks!

I love the Biostar A760G M2+, it is fully compatible with the Supermicro SASLP card.  I've built probably 5 different servers based on that motherboard, and at least a couple of them used the SASLP card as well.  I highly recommend this combo.

In fact, I love the board so much that I recently bought nearly the entire stock of them at chipsdigitalPC.  Luckily for you guys, I left 2 behind.  Get one while they last!

I love the Biostar A760G M2+, it is fully compatible with the Supermicro SASLP card.  I've built probably 5 different servers based on that motherboard, and at least a couple of them used the SASLP card as well.  I highly recommend this combo.

In fact, I love the board so much that I recently bought nearly the entire stock of them at chipsdigitalPC.  Luckily for you guys, I left 2 behind.  Get one while they last!

Thanks for the recomendation Rajahal, I ended up buying it from ebay, it was a bit cheaper for me.  I am in california and the shipping was a bit steep.  Ebay had it for $55.99 shipped with buy it now.  Here is link for others that may want this.  This guys has 195 well maybe 194 now left, http://cgi.ebay.com/BIOSTAR-A760G-M2-SOCKET-AM2-AM3-MOTHERBOARD-AMD-CHIPS-/370478094229?pt=Motherboards&hash=item5642371795

Ok Rajahal couple of more questions for you.  What cpu and ram would you recommend for this, since you are intimate with this board.  Those Supermicro SASLP's don't come cheap, do you have a bargain source for this card?

Thanks!

For RAM I recommend this:

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6/2G

For CPU I recommend this:

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor SDX140HBGQBOX

Both will serve you admirably.

For the SASLP cards I use Superbiiz and then I use this site to check for any active promo codes.  It looks like the best you can get right now is $5 off your order, so you might want to wait a bit.  I generally find promo codes for 15% off the order, which brings each card down under $100.

Archived