Is it possible to share /tmp?

Because of how Tdarr works.  There's a centralized "transcode" directory that all of the nodes/server are connected to.  The node does the conversion to that directory, then copies it out of the directory at the end of the transcode.  In my case the server is in a docker container, but all of my nodes are standalone Windows boxes.

I honestly don't know why the individual nodes don't write to local storage for transcode, possibly for use in other docker containers or something.

On the host.

I want to map Docker: "/temp" to Unraid: "/tmp" and point transcodes at the Docker: "/temp" so that operations happen in RAM rather than on the SSD.

However the Windows clients need to be able to map the Unraid: "/tmp" to something like X:\ for it to work correctly.

Edited by weslocke

128gig, and yes.

I was essentially wanting windows systems to connect to the Unraid box something like:

x:\ -> /mnt/users/Videos

y:\ -> /mnt/users/Pictures

z:\ -> /tmp

However now it's academic.  I just tossed the Tdarr server onto one of the Windows boxes so that I didn't have to worry about path translations at all.  I hate not having it in a Docker container, but it was too much of a pain to get set up.  Took about a minute with the Windows install.

Though I am still curious if it would be possible to expose system level directories in Unraid to client systems.  /etc or tmp for example.  I'm not saying it's a good idea, mind you, just more curious

• 2 months later...

For future folks coming across this thread (as I just did on a google search for the exact same reason)

1) Edit your shares in /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf  (you can just copy another share's section and change the path and name)

[tdarr]
        path = /tmp/tdarr
        comment =
        browseable = yes
        # Private
        writeable = no
        read list =
        write list = YOURUSERNAME
        valid users =  YOURUSERNAME
        case sensitive = auto
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes

2) Restart  /etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

This will only work until restart, so you'd have to put this into SMB extras to make this work through a restart, but if you're like me, you only need the windows machine temporarily to work through a big backlog.

Edited by ionred