Protecting a proprietary DOM left in place

bidmead

I've installed UnRAID on a QNAP NAS without opening it up to remove the DOM.

I want to ensure that the DOM and its contents remain intact in case I ever want to derepurpose it back to being a QNAP again. The WebUI seems to offer no easy way to hide the DOM from UnRAID so I've marked it as read-only.

It occurs to me that I might also mark it as pass-though but pass it through to nothing. Does this make sense? Will this achieve my aim?

-- 

Chris

2 hours ago, bidmead said:

I've installed UnRAID on a QNAP NAS without opening it up to remove the DOM.

I want to ensure that the DOM and its contents remain intact in case I ever want to derepurpose it back to being a QNAP again. The WebUI seems to offer no easy way to hide the DOM from UnRAID so I've marked it as read-only

It occurs to me that I might also mark it as pass-though but pass it through to nothing. Does this make sense? Will this achieve my aim?

-- 

Chris

UnRaid will not write to it as long as you do not add it to the array or a (cache) pool.   It will still (however) count as a device in terms of the unRaid licence limits and I do not think you can stop,that.

As to marking it as pass-through for the Unassigned Devices plugin that DOES make sense as it will stop the plugin from attempting to mount it.   The fact it is never really passed through to a VM is irrelevant and it will help stopping accidents.