Systems keeps Rebooting

dlm

Hey all,

I just put together a Asus P5B-Deluxe system with a 1.8GHZ Celeron processor and 1024Meg of ram.  Right now the only devices in the machine is the video card GeForce 5500 with 256meg Ram and a 500gig SATA drive.

I am using a Sony 2gig Micro vault for the unRaid image.

When I boot the machine, I get the selection page to load unRaid OS or Memtest86+.  When I select UnRaid, it loads the bzimage and the bzroot, however, when it completes the bzroot (assuming linux is starting) I get something on the screen very quickly and the system reboots and starts over again.

I have tried the Sony drive in every USB port on the machine and have tried changing the BIOS to force FFD, but dont think thats really necessary since it does get to the boot page.

FYI, I ran Memtest86 and the memory passes.

Any suggestions or help would be great!

Hm,

If you've gotten to the point where you can see the boot menu your bios/USB/Boot config are fine. 

I've never seen the problem that you are describing but i was experiencing random instability with my unRAID box before i underclocked my RAM timings.  Could be worth a try. 

Random thouht of the moment, did you shut off all un-necessary stuff like serial ports, parallel ports and integrated sound cards?

Try an older version of unRAID, 4.0 or 4.1.  The hardware detection and setup is a little different in each version as the Linux kernel is upgraded.  The Sony is booting fine, so it must be something incompatible in the early hardware detection.  You might also play with the BIOS settings, no ideas here though.  The video card should not matter, and I believe I have seen others using the Asus P5B.  Have you been able to boot Windows or any thing else with this machine (just making sure this is good hardware)?  You might also try a live Linux CD.

Despite memtest working, I would try removing one stick (assume you have two 512s) and try again.  Try once with each of the two sticks of memory.

You should also validate the CPU heatsink/fan is on and operating properly (though I doubt that is the problem).

Bill

Hey!

Thanks for the quick replies.  I did do the memory switch like was mentioned.  Still had the same effect. 

So, I broke out my usb dvd player, downloaded Damn Small Linux on an ISO and tried booting that onto the system.  It got the boot load screen and starting loading like unRaid, but again it rebooted.

So, I guess the answer is I have some bad hardware, CPU or MB, because there really is nothing else in the box besides the video card.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Archived