Good AMD AM3 Motherboard that works with Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

I think the Biostar TA785G3HD has morphed into the TA785G3+ which has 3 expansion slots instead of four.  I have the one with four.  I also have a Biostar A760G M2+ board (with Sempron 140).  Both are quite stable.  The bios setup pages are simpler than other motherboards which helps in some ways.  Like when you set the flash drive as bootable it doesn't change to something else when you add a new hard drive (like Asus boards do).  

HPA is mentioned on the unRAID Hardware Compatibility page and you can search for it in the forum.  HPA means that Gigabyte boards have the potential to create a small partition on any of the harddrives in your unRAID system causing corruption.  On more recent boards it comes disabled.  Do you feel lucky?  I suppose it's a rare event.  But it's pretty gut wrenching to those unlucky ones.  The best way to avoid it is not to buy a gigabyte board.

you think the Biostar TA785G3+ is the best bet and are you pretty sure its works perfectly with the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

The TA785G3+ has only one PCIe slot which would give me pause.  But with that said, if it's the same as the TA785G3 except for the missing PCIe x1 slot then most likely it will work.  If you are worried about the potential of the A760G M2+ not working with the Sempron 140 I'd say don't worry.  Many people on the forum are using that exact combination and I have not seen a single person say they had a problem. 

I need a store that ships to canada and no matter the price what would you say the best board for me would be.

Questions like is this board compatible or which of these two boards is better will probably get answered.  Who delivers to canada may be something  you have to figure out.  Personally I would prefer a board with 2 Pcie slots over a single Pcie slot.  But that's just me.

Where in Canada are you located?

How many drive do you want to support - less than 16 or more? This will determine if you can go with a single PCIe x16 slot and SM controller or you will need to look for ATX size MB with 2 or more PCIe x 16 slots

Do you plan to (re)use your old DDR2 memory - then you will have to look for AM2+ board and you may have to look at your local computer shops for a deal

If you did not buy the memory yest then your best bet is AM3 board and DDR3.

You now that right now is not a good time to buy the best (and probably way more expensive motherboard - "no matter the price")  - too man unknowns with the support of larger than 2.1 TB hard drives.

Im located in Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island in BC. I only really want support for about 15 drives and I already bought a ASUS M4A785-M and 2G of DDR2 Ram but supposedly it doesn't work well with the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, I wish somebody running this combo could let me know if its working for them. Thanks

I tested that combo extensively and could not get it to work.  That Asus board in general is not very good.  It is also picky about which USB drives it will and won't boot from.  I recommend returning it and finding something else.  Biostar and Supermicro boards are both widely compatible with the SASLP card and good quality in general.

eBay currently has a bunch of the A760G M2+ boards for sale for around $50 (USD).  I don't know what the border crossing fees would be, but it still may end up cheaper or about the same as the Asus board.

Another good option is the Supermicro C2SEE or C2SEA.

Im located in Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island in BC. I only really want support for about 15 drives and I already bought a ASUS M4A785-M and 2G of DDR2 Ram but supposedly it doesn't work well with the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, I wish somebody running this combo could let me know if its working for them. Thanks

Raj is right, that particular board is a flake.  I'm looking on Newegg.ca and it seems like there are plenty of choices.  Here's just a few I found.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130237

I'm going to be setting up this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130293 I don't have that  AOC-SASLP-MV8 so I can't test that.

What are the cross boarder rules for ebay anyway?

Raj is right, that particular board is a flake.  I'm looking on Newegg.ca and it seems like there are plenty of choices.  Here's just a few I found.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130237

I'm going to be setting up this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130293 I don't have that  AOC-SASLP-MV8 so I can't test that.

What are the cross boarder rules for ebay anyway?

There are no rules per say. Some US retailers will ship across the border and most will not.  If the shipper uses USPS then the purchaser may or may not get wacked with duty and taxes when the package is delivered (generally the higher the value the more likely).  If the shipper uses UPS (*shudder*), then in addition to 100% duty and taxes, a rather large brokerage fee will be passed on.

There are lots of in-country choices for motherboards, newegg.ca is a good choice for alternatives compared to pure Canadian companies with a more limited supply chain.

I'm looking for the same information as the OP.  Can anybody link to a currently-available-from-newegg motherboard that is definitely AM3 compatible, definitely Supermicro SASLP-MV8 compatible, and definitely unraid compatible?  There are a lot of "probablys", but surely somebody actually has a setup like that up and running and can vouch for it?  Cheaper is better, but I'd be willing to pay up to $100 for a board that is proven to work.

The problem with that is there are lots of motherboards that have just recently become not-currently-available.  It's that time in the sales cycle of the boards that people have been using recently.  

In this forum, probably works means 90% or better chance which is pretty good for a new board.  Maybe works means like 50%.  

Fair enough.  One of the "recommended" builds on the wiki suggests the A760G with the SASLP-MV8, so I guess that's as close to confirmation as you can get.  I ordered one from ebay, along with all the other makings of a new server.  I would have preferred a newer board that used faster (and cheaper) DDR3 memory, but at least I can be fairly certain this will work. 

I just hope my existing 9TB WHS rig lasts long enough for the new parts to come in.  It's been really unstable for the last couple weeks.