[Solved] Seasonic SS-400FL 33a +12v - how many disks?

Chuck

Thanks again Rajahal. I have ordered splitters and new SATA cables from monoprice (<3 them) but was curious if it would be possible to get the cables right off the PS. No biggie either way. But if someone has some molex for the PS and wants SATA, PM me. :)

Now if newegg would get my forward breakout cables here, I could start the move.

Seasonic already responded to my emails and is going to send me two tomorrow. First email was from China asking for my locale (my bad), one from Cali asking for my address, and confirmation they will ship tomorrow. While the packaging, especially the faux felt bag for the PS and the canvas type bag for the cables were overkill and wasteful, it seems like a nice PS.

Here are a couple preview pics of the new build.

1530fnl.jpg

2wgzkv5.jpg

More questions

1. Think I can get away with the fan on the 5-in-3 running all the time on low, and the fans in the 3-in-2's set to "auto", meaning they will spin up when one or more disks in the chassis spins up, and no other fans?

I am also planning to remove the piece of plexiglass in the side panel under the perforated steel. It had an opening with brackets for a 120mm fan, but the larger opening should allow more natural airflow. CPU is cooled with a large passive cooler and runs cool.

Goal is to be quieter than my current build (SNT cage w/ 50mm fans), and I hope (although not optimistic) that the disks will actually run warmer during normal operation, meaning one or two disks spinning, while not cooking during a parity check.

2. Is there an easy way to add a thermal switch to kick on the big fan in top of the 902 case if temps exceed a preset value like 40º C?

Seasonic already responded to my emails and is going to send me two tomorrow.

they actually do that? good to know.  I got me an x660 and was wondering if they did. no need for it now but maybe in the future. lik e you I'd rather use a real cable.

good luck with the rest of the build. :)

2. Is there an easy way to add a thermal switch to kick on the big fan in top of the 902 case if temps exceed a preset value like 40º C?

Depends on your definition of easy ;D  You have me curious though so if I come up with something I'll share the schematics!

I found this and believe it will work: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9669/tmp-50/FrozenCPUcom_Fully_Automated_Thermal_Switch_-_40_C_Threshhold_On_at_40C_Off_at_32C_or_Less_.html?tl=g34c17s422

Archived