SMB Slow or Delayed Initial Access time with VLC

petebnas
Go to solution Solved by ovnt,

I've had this issue for a long time but never seem to quite tackle it: 

I'm trying to open a music video file (mp4) off of an unraid share on my lan.  If I have the file copied to my local system drives, it opens up right away in VLC media player.  If I put it on my unraid share, it takes about 25-30 seconds for VLC to actually start playing the video.  In my tests, I'm trying a 58mb Mp4.  Size doesn't seem to influence the delay...the cpu is 95% idle, network isn't doing anything.

Unraid has 4 drives with a single parity, not seeing any errors on the drives or logs during access time, my share data is only coming from one drive (share not split to multiple drives).  Everything xfs running Unraid 6.8.3

I used to think this condition would only crop up when trying to access drives that were nearly full.  Now that i've simplified my system with fewer drives of larger size, i'm pulling this data from a drive with 79% utilization, so I wouldn't expect there to be a slowdown.  Thus why this time is a bit of a new take on an old problem.

Has anyone run into this condition?  My next steps are to perhaps dig into a packet capture or monkey around with some antivirus exceptions.

Thanks,

Pete

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Solution

For me it was turning off "Autodetect subtitle files" in VLC.

Go to Tools > Preferences > Show All Settings > Scroll down to "Subtitles / OSD" under video (or just search for "autodetect subtitle") in the search bar > Then uncheck "Autodetect subtitle files"

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 7:33 PM, ovnt said:

Go to Tools > Preferences > Show All Settings > Scroll down to "Subtitles / OSD" under video (or just search for "autodetect subtitle") in the search bar > Then uncheck "Autodetect subtitle files"

Your solution worked like magic, I had this problem for a while!

Windows Media Player opened files within a second, VLC took almost 10 seconds to start playing.
With "Autodetect subtitle files" -> Off, VLC also starts instantly!

Edited by PaulV86
On 9/5/2022 at 1:33 PM, ovnt said:

Thank you so much! That did the trick for me as well... I abandoned VLC for that one thing and it was good to finally get this sorted and not have to limp along with my other player!