Motherboard for gaming VM?

Hi! Im planning to build my first unraid! Going from FreeNAS and a gaming PC. But I dont know what motherboard I should look for?

Hardware I will use:

Ryzen 5 2600

16GB 2133MHz RAM (Will upgrade to 32GB)

GTX 1070 8GB (Maybe 1-2 more PCIe for GPU plex transcode or/and a raid contoller in IT mode)

1xSSD cache

1xSSD Windows VM

4-8 HDDs for NAS

I will use the machine for plex server, NAS and a windows vm for gaming (GPU passthrough).

Do you have any tip for a good motherboard?

Looked at the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX because it is on sale here. Does it support everything I need?

Edited by cloudstrife
  • 2 years later...

I, did you find your answers?
I'm looking to change my motherboard, my msi motherboard dont link GPU passthrough.
I changed to get 3 PCIE 16X and the motherboard make crash my VM when GPU passthrough.
So I'm looking for another one.

I Read about Gigabyte/Aorus was good for AMD multiGPU Passthrough.

For passing through devices you need a motherboard, cpu and bios that support this feature. With intel, look for 'vt-x' and 'vt-d'. With AMD look for 'IOMMU'. The names can be different in the bios.
If your cpu, motherboard and bios support this feature then in THEORY, it should work. In my experience there's a bit of 'fiddeling' involved with gpu passthrough. For example, you can have bad luck with your motherboards iommu groups layout, swapping gpu to another slot, code 43, etc....  And this is not unraid's 'fault'. I'm not an expert in this matter but what i'm trying to say is that it is not plug and play even when your hardware fully supports it.

I assume you have a setup already (freenas and gaming pc) so why not test it out on the hardware you already have?

[edit] i see this is 2 year old topic...