Adding a hard Drive issue

mrbadss

SO after my blowup yesterday, I still want to add a HD to the system. Specs- Version 4.6

Few questions:

1. I added the physical hard drive and plugged it in (to the right slot this time). Its visible in the drop down menu, in bios, however when I dmesg|grep SATA|grep link I dont see it. Here is the screen shot of the drop down. It says IDE, but its plugged into the SATA port. What gives? If it is indeed IDE, will it affect performance?

2. I need to preclear it (hasnt been done yet). Can I do that while the array in running? As long as I dont preclear the wrong drive, I should be ok, right?

Thanks!

Reed

unraid-1.png.b50f3fba283029a651fa022e2977ba16.png

SO after my blowup yesterday, I still want to add a HD to the system. Specs- Version 4.6

Few questions:

1. I added the physical hard drive and plugged it in (to the right slot this time). Its visible in the drop down menu, in bios, however when I dmesg|grep SATA|grep link I dont see it. Here is the screen shot of the drop down. It says IDE, but its plugged into the SATA port. What gives? If it is indeed IDE, will it affect performance?

[You have the BIOS seto to a legacy mode where the SATA drive is treated like an IDE for the benefit of older Window's Operating systems. (Win-XP and prior had no SATA drivers, so to use the disk it has to be treated as an IDE drive. )You need to set the disk controller to ACHI mode in the BIOS and then the disk will appear as an SATA drive.  The IDE mode you are currently using will not perform as well.

2. I need to preclear it (hasnt been done yet). Can I do that while the array in running?
Yes, you can do it while the array is running.
As long as I dont preclear the wrong drive, I should be ok, right?

Thanks!

Reed

The preclear_disk.sh script will not let you clear a disk assigned to the array.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...

TA880GB + mother board... Found this in the manual (different screen than put up above)

BIOS EHCI Hand-Off

This item allows you to enable support for operating systems without an EHCI

hand-off feature.

Options: Enabled (Default) / Disabled

DO I need to disable the above? or is it...

OnChip SATA Channel

This option allows you to enable the on-chip Serial ATA.

OnChip SATA Type <-- OR IS IT THIS ONE CHANGE TO AHCI?

This option allows you to select the on-chip Serial ATA operation mode.

Options: Native IDE (Default) / RAID / AHCI / Legacy IDE / IDE????AHCI

SATA IDE Combined Mode

This option controls the SATA/PATA combined mode.

Ok, changed to AHCI and found that the boot devices changed.. I got it to boot with AHCI, however it is still only showing 4 SATA drives... Is this a limitation of the hard drive? How do I get the 5th drive to show up at SATA?

Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the string, just looking for some help and dont want someone to trouble shoot a issue I already figured out.

Thanks.

Reed

Archived