[Unraid 6.9.0] Slow internal file transfer but only on ubuntu laptop?

This was also happening before upgrading, I was only 6.8.3

Doing a folder transfer on my windows desktop, using SMB, i get anywhere from 120-250 mbps

Doing the exact same folder transfer on my ubuntu laptop, using either SMB or NFS, and I get ~8mbps, with some files it slows down even further.

It's an internal transfer (transfers on the same disk even) so I don't see why my laptops connection would matter, but even so iperf shows my laptops connection to the server is 75mbps, and transferring the same folder from the share to my laptop I get ~65mbps. 

Not sure what my next steps should be. I can't tell if it's a problem in how I've configured unraid, or the ubuntu laptop? If it's an internal transfer, what about the device I use will affect how files are transferred? Is there an easier, "more correct" way of moving files around internally I should be using? 

Edited by drewgi
Just now, JorgeB said:

Windows uses Samba server side copy, i.e., local copy doesn't use the network.

So basically when I'm on my laptop, it's having to do a double hop, plus more read/write penalties and all that? 

Is there a way to get that functionality on ubuntu that you know of? Or a different program I should be using so I don't have to go to my desktop whenever I want to transfer files.

43 minutes ago, drewgi said:

s there a way to get that functionality on ubuntu that you know of?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Server-Side_Copy

Client Support

Windows Server 2012 and later: via Windows Explorer or Robocopy

Windows 8 and later: via Windows Explorer or Robocopy

Windows Server 2008: via Robocopy only

Windows 7: via Robocopy only

For other tools, ask the respective vendor for SMB2 FSCTL_SRV_COPYCHUNK support.