EST unRAID 15 Bay Server : Research, Specifications, Build, Setup: Updated 02/21

Update 02/21/11: Added the Setup Article

I would like to take a moment to share my unRAID server with the group.  

IMG_2230_thumb.jpg

The first link tells about the research put into the project and purchasing the equipment.  

The second link shows a detailed approach to the build with how I dremelled the case, routed all the cables, and installed the software.  

The third link shows a detailed approach to how I setup using Active Directory.

The fourth link will show using the server on a daily basis information.

I hope that this post helps users doing their research to be able to build there own server.

The Research and Specifications are here:

unRAID NAS Server Research & Specifications

The Build Process is here:

unRaid NAS Server Build

The Setup is here:

unRaid NAS Server Setup

The Use is here:

(coming soon)

Very sweet setup. I was looking at that case too. There aren't many 9 x 5.25 case choices since the Centurion 590 was presumably discontinued.

I'm curious why you chose to use two AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-port controllers when you only needed 15 sata ports. If you had gone with something like the ASUS M4A79XTD 2XPCI-E 7SATA mobo then the 7sata on-board ports + 8sata ports on one AOC-SASLP-MV8 card would give you the 15 ports you needed.

Also, from what I understand from @Raj you don't need such a powerful CPU if you're only running unraid. However, you may want to use your server for other stuff too.

All in all a very nice job. Now fill it with drives! :)

One question: how loud are the 5x3 fans? Did you have to replace them with lower rpm ones?

Ben

I really like the case it was inexpensive and it is pretty solid.  I am not a huge fan of the large side fan, but that is the only real thing I compromised on.  I don't want my server case to be a gaming case with all sorts of flash. 

I was originally thinking that I was going to go with the 15 bays on the outside and put the parity and cache drive inside for a total of 17 drives, but in reality they don't fit like that and I was only dreaming.  I ended up leaving the 2nd AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller out and I am returing it.  I will purchase a smaller less expensive 2 port card to do the  last drive and have one extra SATA port for extra stuff. 

Yes I agree i was going for low power on the i3 since it is only 72 watts and I found that the i3 computers with multiple drives can sit around 30-50 watts at idle.  I have my power bill to think of.  Besides I was also interested in running handbrake on the server in the future. 

The 5x3 fans are not loud at all in fact they are not as loud as the case fans.  I would say the entire rig is around 30-35 decibels, but that is an estimate.  I am also lucky that it sits next to a dell server that is probably around 50 dB.  Keep in mind with the stock fans not something to have in your family room more then likely but not bad at all.