UPS runtime...

turnipisum

Don't know about your specific situation, but just thought I would mention for other users that might read this.

Running for a long time on batteries should usually not be the goal of UPS. Running long enough to get through very brief outages, and to cleanly shutdown on outages that are not so brief, should be the goal.

If you let your UPS run for a long time so it gets drained, then you can't trust your server on it until it has recharged.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 10:24 PM, trurl said:

Running for a long time on batteries should usually not be the goal of UPS. Running long enough to get through very brief outages, and to cleanly shutdown on outages that are not so brief, should be the goal.

Agree.  My server loads my 1350VA UPS an average of ~ 10%, giving me a reported run time of about 60 minutes.  I'm setup to start a shutdown after 12.5 minutes, which is long enough to handle any unannounced "planned" outages.  (Where the power co. need to switch off an area to service some equipment, the typical reason I may lose power.)  I don't have my server power back up after shut down, as it isn't mission critical, and is on site at home.

I also have it configured to shut down at 50% battery capacity (if multiple outages less than 12.5 min occur) or if less than 10 minutes of run time remain (which I should never get to see, but good safety net).

It takes quite some time to fully charge a very depleted battery, and important that everyone consider all possible scenarios, and not just the power going out one time.