LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

Cloned drives of destroyed drives show up as "wrong" drives

Hello,

3 of my 4 array drives were destroyed from a power surge. I sent the drives in for repair because their PCBs and preamps were burnt, they then cloned the repaired drives to new drives.

When I plug the clones in to my UnRaid server it tells me they are the "wrong" drive in the Array menu. And when I try to open them via W10 file explorer via 2 different SATA USB adapters they do not show up, however they do show up in W10 disk management

I only sent in 3 of my 4 array drives for repair since the 4th array drive still shows up as being a valid drive in UnRaid, or so it seems. However I did not send in my 2 parity drives which had the same burnt PCBs/PreAmps issue to be fixed due to the  repair cost.

Could any of you help point me in the correct direction without the data being lost? Whether it be some setting, starting a new UnRaid server from scratch, somehow transferring the data from the drives to a new separate drive or some other form of mystical magic bean portal tree which will get my data back?

I've now spent around $3.5k to have the 3 drives repaired and I'm very invested in the data stored on them. 

If only I hadn't shucked and then used my backup USB drives as my 2 parity drives, or spent a couple hundred for a seperate backup system prior to the power surge. And yes, the computer was on a UPS and multiple surge protectors. the short came from the MOBO

Thank you greatly for your time and help

hopr-diagnostics-20210408-2040.zip

11 hours ago, ryolse said:

3 of my 4 array drives were destroyed

You weren't using an incompatible modular PSU cable were you? Lots of people have made that mistake. Modular PSU cables are not standardized and you should only use the cables that came with the PSU.

Your diagnostics only show disk1 and disk22 assigned. Since disk22 is nvme and you don't have nearly that many disks I assume that is a pool disk.

Disk1 is also an SSD. I don't know if that is what you had before or not, but SSDs in the parity array are not recommended. Perhaps you only made that assignment temporarily to see what you had.

And, diagnostics shows 3 HDDs unassigned, I guess these were the cloned drives. You said 3 out of 4 disks though. Where is the 4th disk that wasn't cloned? Was it one of the SSDs?

As already mentioned, Tools - New Config is the solution you are looking for. It allows you to assign any disks however you want, and then builds parity on any disks assigned to parity slots when you start the array. So, make sure you don't assign any data disks to any parity slots.

Or, you could just not assign anything as parity and see what you have. New Config will use the disks assigned as data disks exactly as they are with their contents. Assuming they were cloned accurately and they were mountable Unraid filesystems originally, you should be able to see your data as soon as you start the array.

If any disks show as unmountable post new diagnostics.

12 hours ago, ryolse said:

I've now spent around $3.5k to have the 3 drives repaired and I'm very invested in the data stored on them. 

You must always have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable. Parity is not a substitute for backup, whether using Unraid or any other system. Lots of ways to lose data that parity will never help you with, including simple user error. As you have seen.

Thank for the help. I've been rather nervous on doing the New Config since I've yet to ever have the need to use it. Do you know of any "tutorials" for how to not mess it up?

Correct the 3 unassigned HDDs are the ones in question.

And I agree that I should have seperate backups. As OP I had a full backup offsite but then used those drives because I needed a larger parity drive and was planning on replacing my backup in the following weeks.

The 4th drive was the SSD. And I understand the SSD being a no no due to trimming. But was also part of above temporarily used drives because I had them and needed some extra storage.

The SSD drive and lack of a separate backup was only temporary and wasn't the cause of the short.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ryolse said:

the cause of the short.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

You weren't using an incompatible modular PSU cable were you?

2 hours ago, ryolse said:

Do you know of any "tutorials" for how to not mess it up?

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Reset_the_array_configuration

4 hours ago, trurl said:

It allows you to assign any disks however you want, and then builds parity on any disks assigned to parity slots when you start the array. So, make sure you don't assign any data disks to any parity slots.

Or, you could just not assign anything as parity and see what you have. New Config will use the disks assigned as data disks exactly as they are with their contents.

Sorry, but I think this is the part that keeps detouring me.

"DO NOT USE THIS UTILITY THINKING IT WILL REBUILD A FAILED DRIVE - it will have the opposite effect of making it impossible to rebuild an existing failed drive - you have been warned!"

So I assume ignore this statement since the data still exists on the drives and doesn't need to be rebuilt?

Lastly, will I need a working Parity drive to get the drives up and going? As for now I just want to be able to copy it all over to a "external" usb drive. And then start over from scratch

Thank you again for all of your help and support

1 hour ago, ryolse said:

the data still exists on the drives and doesn't need to be rebuilt?

correct, nothing to rebuild. Whether the disks have your data remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, ryolse said:

will I need a working Parity drive to get the drives up and going?

No, parity is never required.

Thank you greatly trurl for the help. Everything looks to be back and has been copied to a separate drive with the exception of one drive which shows up as "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout".

Capture.thumb.PNG.972435132d0a387f5e32f600e1848058.PNG

As previously mentioned these were cloned drives and therefore had data on them so I don't want to PreClear/format it. The original drive was approximately 750gb however when the company cloned it they used a 1tb drive with a smaller partition.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you again for your valued knowledge and support

hopr-diagnostics-20210414-0448.zip